With Winter Storm Niko bearing down on the northeast U.S. today, many of us runners are thinking about sunny skies and warmer climes. Well, some 100 million tourists make their way to Florida every year, so today’s ‘Snowbird Special’ features some of our favorite runs in major Florida destinations. It’s a great combination of beaches, parks, and trails. I’m sure Charlie has some great bargains for you on how to get to some of these spots…once the airport reopens! Click on the link for more details on each run. For more on the 9+ cities and 100+ routes, see our complete Florida Running Guide.
Favorite Florida Runs
- The Beaches. For some typical Florida running, consider an 11-mile strip of some of Florida’s most gorgeous and relatively uncrowded beaches
- Riverwalk. Run from Jacksonville Landing down the Northbank RiverWalk, all the way to EverBank Field.
- Tampa- Bayshore Linear Trail. the world’s longest continuous sidewalk, stretching 4.5 miles along the waterfront. Spectacular views of the Bay and the downtown skyline.
- St. Pete Beach. A great beach run with spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico and gorgeous sunsets.
- Gaston Edwards Park/Orlando Urban Trail. A run incorporating 6 lakes, the Orlando Science Center, Orlando Museum of Art, and the Botanical Garden.
- Cocoa Beach. About 70 miles east of Orlando, Cocoa Beach is one of the greats for beach running in North America
- Gordon River Greenway. The paths and boardwalk around the Gordon River are like taking a run through the Everglades.
- Fort Myers Beach. Seven miles of beach running heaven on Estero Island. Add a couple of miles in Lovers Key State Park.
- The Lake Trail. One of the nicest paths for running in south Florida. Gorgeous views of the intercoastal waterway and Palm Beach mansions and landmarks.
- Flagler Drive. A great route in West Palm Beach. Seamless run for nearly 8 miles with views of the intercoastal/Lake Worth the entire way.
- Fort Lauderdale Beach Park. This route takes you along the iconic A1A, which hugs the ocean, on a sidewalk that runs parallel to the beach.
- Hollywood Boardwalk. Brick-paved oceanfront promenade stretching nearly 2 miles. A haven for runners, walkers, cyclists, etc. Festive and crowded!
- Miami Beach. One of the great urban beaches. The wide sand beach stretches for nearly ten miles, with a running path along most of the way.
- Coconut Grove. One of the nicest neighborhoods in Miami. Very lush and green.
We welcome your suggestions about great places to run in Florida. Email me at email@example.com.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.