I first wrote about this a couple of months ago, but Sports Authority had said they were going to close a number of stores as they filed for Chapter 11. Now, they just announced this week that they will be closing all of their 460+ stores across the US. Here are the details about the sales and dates for this announcement.
Sports Authority Closing All Stores
Let me say first, as I said originally, I really hope that the employees at these locations are able to find new jobs and that this happens as smoothly as possible for them. Having shopped at many closures before and having talked with the employees, I know it can be very hard on them. It is especially hard right now because they are still working at a job that they know they will lose and it can be really difficult to have a customer service position in that situation.
So, as you go and shop for these deals, remember to be as polite and courteous with the employees as possible. It is certainly not easy for them.
Sales, Dates, and Details
Here is the message from the CEO yesterday:
Sports Authority and its predecessor companies have been serving the sporting goods needs of our customers since 1919. It is with great sadness that we are intending to close all of our stores by the end of August.
We will be holding store closing sales at all of our locations that will allow you to take advantage of big discounts on great brands.
On behalf of the entire Sports Authority team, I would like to express our sincere appreciation to our customers for their years of loyalty. It has been a pleasure to serve you and your family.
Here are the dates that they outlined for the process:
- LOYALTY PROGRAM: Customers’ outstanding rewards will expire on May 25, 2016, at which time the League program will terminate.
- CREDIT CARDS: The Sports Authority credit card can be used to make purchases through May 25, 2016, at which time it will no longer be accepted as a valid form of payment.
- WARRANTIES: Existing warranties for merchandise purchased at a Sports Authority store or on SportsAuthority.com remain in effect, and Asurion will continue covering all products purchased under our extended service plans without change or interruption. For more information, please visit www.asurion.com/ecp, or call toll-free at 1-866-882-8512.
- EXCHANGES/RETURNS: You can continue to make exchanges or returns at Sports Authority stores through June 25, 2016.
- GIFT CARDS: Gift cards will be honored through June 28, 2016; however we are no longer selling new gift cards.
Loyalty Reward Program Expiration
First, I find it disappointing (but I understand this happens in these situations) that the rewards expired yesterday which is when the CEO sent this out. I received the message at 9:30PM ET so that really did not leave any time for most customers.
This is what the CEO had to say in the last e-mail sent out in March “In addition, there should be no changes to our return/exchange policies at our go-forward stores or our customer loyalty program, The League.” For those that held on to their rewards, it looks like they did not stick by that and you no longer have them.
So, here is the calendar of deadlines:
- May 25 – Expiration of loyalty rewards
- May 25 – Sports Authority credit cards can not be used after this date
- June 25 – Exchanges/returns can be made until this date
- June 28 – Gift cards will be honored through this date
- End of August – All stores will be closed
As of right now, there are major sales going on in all of their stores. You can find a list of those stores here. They are also running sales on their website for up to 30% off. This includes things like GoPro cameras that are at 10% off. These may be even cheaper in store.
This is the time to start hunting for your favorites sports gear. By the time mid-August rolls around, you are likely to only find mixture of size shoes, left-handed golf clubs, and the high priced stuff that was never marked down quite as much. Still, you can find some great sales from now through August!
So, what are you buying? 🙂