With the upcoming changes to the American Express consumer cards on May 1 being tossed around, many consumers may find that some of the cards have lost their value since they can no longer sign-up again for the bonus down the road. While there may be a possibility that American Express may continue to offer some customers a reduced sign-up bonus, we do not know that for sure yet.
While I do find the American Express SPG card to be one of the most valuable when it comes to point currencies, there may be many cardholders who got the card for the bonus and have since found other cards to put their spend on. If that is you, don’t cancel your SPG card yet! One of the great reasons to keep your SPG card is to take advantage of the referral offers. That’s right, you can refer friends and family for the card and, if they are approved, you will receive 5,000 Starpoints for it. That is worth at least $90 and you can earn up to 55,000 Starpoints through referral per calendar year (11 referrals). That is a lot of points!
This offer is only available to current cardholders, so if you have one of the SPG cards, time to start earning your own referral! Click here for the referral form.
American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Offers (business and personal) – this is the offer that they will receive
- Earn 10,000 Starpoints after first purchase
- Earn 15,000 additional Starpoints after spending $5,000 in 6 months
Here are the particulars:
- You must refer people by 10/1/2014
- They must apply and be approved by 10/1/2014
- You can receive up to 55,000 points per calendar year
- The friends and family must apply through the REFER NOW buttons in the e-mail
- Amex says your bonus points may be taxable income
If you would like a SPG card but do not have a friend or family member who could refer you, I would happy to refer you! 🙂 Just e-mail me at charlie at runningwithmiles.com