If you read my post from yesterday, you will see that I had high hopes of switching to the Apple Watch Series 2 but ended up staying with my Garmin Fenix 3. Garmin makes great watches for runners, triathletes, and fitness-minded individuals and they work really well.
Great Deals on Garmin Watches!
I have owned/used many Garmin watches since I started running – the 201, 305, 405, 410, 610, 620, 910xt, 920xt, and now the Fenix 3. The Fenix 3 is an absolutely fantastic watch that works for runs as well as an everyday watch. The same can be said for some of the other recent additions to Garmin’s Forerunner lineup, especially since Garmin now has models marked HR for the optical heart rate sensor built-in to the back of the watches.
Starting today through the next couple of days (some of the watches are on sale to the end of the year), you can get some great deals on Garmin watches. Here are the models on sale as well as their regular prices.
Great Deals on Garmin Watches
- Garmin Fenix 3 HR – $399 ($200 off) – has the optical heart rate monitor
- Garmin Fenix 3 – $379 ($120 off)
- Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire HR – $449 ($150 off) – has the optical herat rate monitor
- Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire Titanium – $524 ($175 off) – definitely the classiest Garmin of the bunch!
- Garmin Forerunner 230 – $179 ($70 off)
- Garmin Forerunner 235 – $249 ($80 off) – this model has the optical hear rate monitor but is otherwise the same as the above watch
- Garmin Forerunner 630 – $229 ($170 off)
- Garmin 920XT – $199 ($180 off) – this is a triathlete model, much larger face if you prefer it – really nice watch and long battery life
- Garmin vivoactive – $139 ($110 off)
Which One to Choose?
If you want to get a watch and grab a HRM-Run monitor to go with it (this is the HRM module that tracks things like running dynamics), then go with the Garmin Fenix 3, Forerunner 630 or the 920XT.
If you want a watch with a long battery life (all of these will last for several days in watch mode) for your activities, go for the Fenix 3 or the 920XT.
If you want a great watch to get started with that will also be great for races and training, the Forerunner 230 is a really great deal and a watch to consider. Another great performer which would even undercut that one on price would be the vivoactive for only $139.
I would say it would be a toss-up whether to go for the Forerunner 230 or the 920XT with only $20 separating them. If you want a watch that will go for the long-haul on activities, go with the 920XT (definitely go with it if you are a triathlete). If you want one that will be wearable every day as a regular watch and be a stellar performer for your runs, go with the Forerunner 230.
I actually currently have a 910XT, a 620, and the Fenix 3 and absolutely love the job that Garmins do. Garmin has done a great job in producing quality hardware while adding some nice features like smart notifications.
To read in-depth reviews on all of these devices, check out DC Rainmaker’s excellent site with all of its resources.