Hyatt is offering a special promo for renting cars with Avis through July 31, 2015. It is a nice opportunity to get up to a 25% discount (from regular prices), an upgrade, and (more importantly) 1,000 Hyatt points. Here are the details.
Get 1,000 Hyatt Points and Discounts With Avis
When it comes to companies offering discounts and perks with car rental reservations, I am always a little leary. The reason is that you are normally going to pay a little bit more for the reservation (or sometimes a lot more) because you have to use the codes the partner gives you and not any other discount codes that can often give a better rate.
However, I checked a small sampling of prices between the codes from Hyatt for Avis and and just straight rentals from Avis and they look fairly close. The straight Avis rates come out a little ahead when you use Pay Now, but I never do that because my rental needs change often. Plus, when you consider the free upgrade, you are coming out pretty even for the class of cars the upgrade certificate works on.
You will see any discounts that apply at the time of booking but will need to give your Hyatt number at pickup to receive the 1,000 Hyatt points and any other base points. If you figure Hyatt points are worth about 2 cents each, this is equivalent to a future savings of $20 on a 3 day or longer rental!
One more thing I like about this promo is that it includes a lot of the world. A lot of promos only are good for the US and sometimes Canada/Mexico. As with most of these deals, make sure you check and compare prices to ensure that you are getting the best deal. If you were only paying a couple of dollars more to go this route, I would for the points and the upgrade (if you do not already have Avis status, which most people can get relatively easy).
One thing to note – the link above is the generic offer link. The version that came in my e-mail had a AWD# tied to it and pre-populated the reservation form with it. That AWD is what gives the up to 25% savings so search your e-mail for a similar offer.
Here are the details:
- Offer of 1,000 bonus Hyatt Gold Passport is valid on rentals of three days or longer at participating Avis locations in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- Bonus points are in addition to the base points you receive each time you rent with Avis.
- 1,500 total points offer reflects 1,000 bonus points plus 500 base points earned.
- Bonus points offer valid on all car groups.
- An advance reservation is required.
- Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount.
- The savings of up to 25% applies to the time-and-mileage charges only.
- Upgrade coupon valid for a one time, one car group upgrade on an intermediate (group C) through a full-size four-door (group E) car.
- Offer valid on daily, weekend, weekly and monthly rates only.
- Coupon valid at participating Avis locations.
- One coupon per rental.
- In the U.S., taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee and customer facility charges may apply and are extra. Optional products such as LDW ($35.99/day or less) and refueling are extra.
- In Canada, all taxes (including Air Conditioning Excise Tax), fees (including Vehicle License Recovery Fee), and optional items (such as LDW) are additional.
- Please mention coupon number UUHA014 to receive upgrade.
- Avis Preferred members must mention a valid Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of rental to receive base and/or bonus points. All other rentals require the mention of Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of rental to receive base and/or bonus points.
- Offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times, including some online rates at Avis.com.
- Car rental return restrictions may apply.
- Offer subject to change without notice.
- Holiday and other blackout periods may apply.
- Renter must meet Avis age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum rental age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.
- Points accrual structure subject to change.
- Rental must begin by July 31, 2015.