The US Airways card has had a split personality for a while. There have always been several different offers at the same time. Some of them were 30,000 mile offers, some 40,000. Some were the same amount but came with the anniversary bonus, some did not. Some had an annual fee up front, some did not. It can get confusing! But, now Barclay has upped the offer to the highest it is ever at – 50,000 miles.
US Airways 50,000 Mile Offer – Limited Time
– Application Link – US Airways 50,000 Mile Offer
Given that the US Airway Dividend miles will become AA miles next year, it pays to get as many US Airway miles as possible. Not only that, but they are still hugely useful as US Airway miles. One of my favorite redemptions is the off-peak US Airway awards to Europe (30,000 roundtrip for cardholders). Another sweet spot is the 120,000 mile roundtrip award to North Asia in first class! That is a pretty great redemption!
While not having an inside information, I think that Barclay is upping the bonus now for a couple of reasons. One may be that they have a surplus of US Airway miles that they had already purchased and they need to get rid of them before this card disappears as a new offer. Another reason might be just to entice those potential customers to get the card before they stop issuing them. Either way, this is a great offer and certainly one to consider!
To get the 50,000 miles, you must make one purchase (could be $1) and pay the annual fee ($89). Barclay is pretty good about getting the bonus to you quickly. I normally receive the miles within 5 days after meeting the requirements. So, you could get these miles 5 days after paying the annual fee.
Here are the card details:
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights
- Redeem miles for award travel on US Airways and American Airlines booked throughusairways.com or US Airways Reservations
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- New! Receive a 25% savings on eligible US Airways and American Airlines in-flight purchases
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details
Should You Apply?
This is definitely the best sign-up bonus that this card gives so it should be one to consider. However, Barclay has become more strict over the years with approvals. This means that you should carefully evaluate your mile and point goals to determine which cards are best for you at this time. Without being sure how long this limited-time offer will last, I cannot speak to when you should apply. But, if you want some free travel as cheap as it gets, this is the card and offer to apply for. 50,000 miles is enough for 2 roundtrip tickets in the US and is more than enough for the US Airway off-peak awards. In fact, you would just be 10,000 miles shy of two roundtrip off-peak award tickets to Europe. That is fantastic from one card offer!
Offer With Anniversary Bonus
There is another offer that I have written about before which has the same increased offer. It also has the anniversary bonus of 10,000 miles. You can read about that here (the application is targeted to US Airway elites, but many have gotten in on this deal in the past without having status).