The MegaDOs are something that are made for the travel/aviation geeks. While I have never been on one (yet!), I have certainly enjoyed following along on what happens on them. This year’s Star MegaDO was announced last week and it sounds like it should be a lot of fun! Registration opens today at 1PM ET, so get ready!
Star MegaDO 7
The dates for the Star MegaDO 7 are September 13 – 16, 2016. It will be in Europe and participants will be flown around to the various cities aboard an Aegean airlines special charter. This little part alone was enough to get me more interested since Aegean is kind of “my” airline!
Here is the schedule for this year’s event:
- Tuesday, September 13 – Arrive in Zurich (must get their on your own)
- Our partner hotel is the Sheraton Zurich. Participants benefit from a special 199 CHF/night rate. The hotel is easily accessible on public transportation, with direct tram service from the airport.
- Wednesday, September 14 – A day at ZRH
- 8:30 am: Breakfast with Lufthansa, SWISS, and the CEO of Star Alliance
- 10 am: A day at ZRH with the Lufthansa Group
- Transportation by bus to ZRH from the Sheraton Zurich.
- Tour the new SWISS Bombardier C Series, SWISS Boeing 777-300ER and Singapore A380.
- Tour the new SWISS Lounges in Concourse E.
- Go behind the scenes with SWISS and Luthansa Technik.
- Lunch will be provided between tours.
- Transportation back to the hotel.
- 6:30 pm: An evening with the Lufthansa Group and Star Alliance
- Thursday, September 15 – MegaDO Charter Flight – ZRH/XFW/JMK/ATH
- 6:30 am: Check in for the charter flight opens at ZRH
- 8:30 am: Charter flight ZRH/XFW (Airbus private Airport Hamburg)
- 9:45 am: A day at Airbus in Hamburg, Germany
- 1 pm: Charter flight XFW/JMK (Mykonos)
- 6 pm: Party with SPG while watching the sunset at the Santa Mrina Luxury Collection Resort
- 9:15 pm: Charter flight JMK/ATH (Athens)
- Overnight at the Arion Aster Palace – special rate of 249 euro
- Friday, September 16 – A day at ATH
- 8:30 am: Breakfast with Aegean management
- A day with Aegean
- 4 pm: Official program concludes
The cost for hotels and positioning flights is on the participant (though you will be able to book a group rate for JFK – FRA aboard Singapore Airlines). The cost for the rest of the trip, which includes the tours and the charter flight as well as the meals that will be provided, is in 3 levels – $999, $1,299, and $1,799. Here is what the various price points get you:
Plus, participants will all get Aegean Gold status which is Star Alliance Gold (free lounge access!) – that is huge! It will be valid through 2017 so if you wanted to grab this status, this is a good way to do it, and have a lot of fun in the process! One the great things about achieving Aegean Gold is that the requirements to retain it in subsequent years are half the mileage requirements to originally attain it. That means that if you get Aegean Gold (Star Alliance Gold) as part of Star MegaDO 7, you will only have to credit 12,000 miles and 4 Aegean flights next year or 24,000 miles to keep it.
Not only that, but Aegean is also giving some other great offerings as well like an opportunity to win hundreds of thousands of points and 5 years of Aegean Gold Status.
Registration opens today – check out the details here. There is no telling how long this will last since seats are limited. Don’t forget, the above prices do not cover the hotels and your positioning flight but you will be getting an incredible experience and Star Alliance Gold in the process!