Southwest sales are nothing new, but normally, the $49 fare is just for a few city pairs. A couple of times a year, they run their sale that hits all the $-9s and covers a lot of cities by distance. This sale covers a lot more cities and starts even a few dollars lower than the advertised price of $49!
This sale has brought my home airport back into the $49 range for travel to Baltimore – normal sales have that around $79 so I know it is wider than normal!
Really Good Southwest Sale from $44
Here are the details on this sale:
- Purchase from June 7 through June 9, 2016, 11:59 p.m. for the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid August 23 through December 14, 2016.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 7 through December 8, 2016.
- International travel valid August 23 through December 13, 2016.
- Domestic and San Juan, Puerto Rico travel blacked out September 1-3, September 5, and November 18-29, 2016. Sale fares to international destinations blacked out September 1-2, and November 18-20, 2016; sale fares from international destinations blacked out September 4-6, and November 25-28, 2016.
- Domestic travel is valid only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Travel to/from Florida and Nevada is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid only on Mondays through Thursdays. International travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Fares valid on nonstop service only.
- Fares not available to/from Portland, ME.
Check Your Reservations!
The real benefit of these sales is for you to check your existing Southwest reservation and see if the fare is any cheaper right now. This is very common because many people will book as far out as they can when the schedule opens to ensure they have the flight. Then, with Southwest’s generous cancellation/change policy, you can make changes to the reservation and always make sure you are booked at the lowest price.
Cancellation and Change Policy
If you have already booked your tickets in the past, you can still take advantage of the sale. Southwest has the best cancellation/rebooking policy of the US airlines. Basically, as long as you cancel by 10 minutes before the flight, you get the points back in your account for free and with no penalty. That means you are free to make any changes you want without any problems or loss of points or cash!
Check Your Already-Booked Reservations For Price Difference
So, now is the time to search for your tickets within this sale and see if you have a better price available now than when you had booked it. If the price has dropped, you simply select to change the flight and look at the same dates and flights again. Once you go through and confirm, you will receive a refund of the difference in miles and the cash for the taxes will be transferred for the new ticket.
In 1 Minute, You Can Have Your Points Back!
The whole process takes less than 60 seconds and you could save a lot of money or points! If you had booked your ticket in the past using cash, you will receive a refund in the form of a credit that is usable for 1 year from the time you originally booked the ticket. If you booked it with points, you will receive the points back in your account for the difference.
While this is a great price for new reservations, it is also a good time to check your reservations already booked. If you booked a while ago, you will have a decent shot at getting some money/points back with this sale. That is always a good thing and a great reason to shop with Southwest.