Today was to have been the final day to transfer your Starpoints (SPG points) to American Airlines for a 20% bonus. Instead, this promo has now been extended and you have until August 31 to initiate the transfer!
Offer Extended For Turning 20K Points Into 30K Miles (and more!)
What this means in numbers is that, instead of transferring 20,000 Starpoints and getting 25,000 AA miles, you would get 30,000 AA miles! That is a nice bump in the miles you receive and effectively gives your SPG points a transfer value of 1.5 AA miles per point (when transferred in blocks of 20,000 points).
Great redemption with AA miles – Etihad’s A380 Apartment Class
I know that some of you had probably held off initially waiting to see if you had a good redemption for your AA miles before transferring. So, good news for you as it gives you a few more weeks. It is great news for those who are waiting for their SPG Amex billing cycle to close so they can get additional points.
The transfer does not happen immediately – it will take a few days. But, you only need to initiate the transfer by August 31 to receive the extra 20% bonus. Below is the pertinent transfer details to take advantage of this nice bump.
Here are the details for the transfer bonus:
- Valid for transfers between July 1 –
August 7now August 31, 11:59PM CT
- To receive the extra 5,000 miles, you must transfer your Starpoints in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The 20% AA bonus applies to any transfers of Starpoints – they do not have to be in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The transfer is not reversible or refundable so make sure you transfer what you need
- Can only transfer 79,999 Starpoints per 24 hour period (so, do not transfer more than 60,000 Starpoints to make sure you get the 5,000 mile bonus per 20,000 point block)
- Transfers can take a few days to convert and the bonus miles from AA will post within 7 business days following the miles showing up in the account
If you have any planned travel coming up on American Airlines or their partners, this is a great way to convert a lot of miles and earn a significant bonus. At the same time, there very well may be some devaluation coming to their award program at some point. Nothing has been said but it would not be surprising to anyone. I say all that to say, do not use this transfer promo just to leave the miles in your AA account. Make sure have a use for them.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.