Today is the last chance to take advantage of a deal to get a total of 50% bonus AA miles when you transfer your SPG Starpoints to AA. This promo expires tonight so find out what you need to do to take advantage of it. But, also consider if it is a good move for you!
Bonus Deal: Turn 20,000 SPG Points Into 30,000 AA Miles
The transfer does not happen immediately – it will take a few days. But, you only need to initiate the transfer by August 31 to receive the extra 20% bonus. Below is the pertinent transfer details to take advantage of this nice bump.
Link: aa link with details
Link: spg link for transfer
- Valid for transfers between August 1 – September 14, 11:59PM CT
- To receive the extra 5,000 miles, you must transfer your Starpoints in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The 20% AA bonus applies to any transfers of Starpoints – they do not have to be in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The transfer is not reversible or refundable so make sure you transfer what you need
- Can only transfer 79,999 Starpoints per 24 hour period (so, do not transfer more than 60,000 Starpoints to make sure you get the 5,000 mile bonus per 20,000 point block)
- Transfers can take a few days to convert and the bonus miles from AA will post within 7 business days following the miles showing up in the account
If you have any planned travel coming up on American Airlines or their partners, this is a great way to convert a lot of miles and earn a significant bonus. At the same time, AA introduced a big devaluation on premium cabin award travel so this bonus is not nearly as good as it was last year. Still, if you have upcoming award travel and want to add more AA miles, this bonus is a nice way to do it. Make sure have a use for them! At first I had considered taking advantage of this promo since I enjoy using AA miles, but in the long run, my family and I will get some more value out of using them for actual hotel stays – like this awesome family-sized hotel we stayed at for 5 days for 40,000 points.
SPG Starpoints are incredibly valuable for everything from regular hotel stays to airline miles with the transfer bonus to incredible experiences. The best part is that you can choose what is best for your travel habits, thanks to their incredible flexibility. I will be sitting this out as I have a healthy amount of AA miles right now and I value my Starpoints for airline transfers to Aegean (if I am going to use them for airline transfers).
So, consider if you need the AA miles or the SPG points more. With the recent cracking down on Citi cards, it might be harder for you to earn AA miles, so this promo may make sense. Figure out where your value lies and do it today!
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.