I had mentioned in my summary of elite status from 2014 and my goals for 2015 that I have Etihad Gold status (their mid-tier level) thanks to a status match that I had made (and then forgot about) around this time last year. In fact, I was first notified that I would not receive it before finally getting the status – so don’t worry if it is a no at first!According to Gary at View from the Wing, that offer is back again!
I did a review (that you may want to read) about my review and perspective of the Etihad Gold flyer aboard Etihad in economy. I was shocked at the amount of positive treatment that I had received on the flight and that is something that everyone who booked the Etihad “Christmas Sale” tickets should aspire to getting.
Not only did I receive an upgrade offer, but I also had my choice of seats in economy and it would have given me lounge access as well. Very nice recognition for a flyer who only had elite status from a match and was making his first economy flight on Etihad!
Status Match To Etihad
To get the Etihad Gold status, it is simple:
To receive your Etihad Guest Gold card, follow these simple steps:
- Existing Etihad Guest members: Send us a scanned copy of your Gold card with another airline loyalty programme, copy of your latest miles statement along with your Etihad Guest membership number toEYGCorporate@etihad.ae
- Non-Etihad Guest members: Send us a scanned copy of your Gold card with another airline loyalty programme, copy of your latest miles statement along with your full name, email ID, date of birth, physical address and telephone number to EYGCorporate@etihad.ae
When I matched to the status last year, I used my Aegean Gold status, which used to be the easiest, fastest path to Star Alliance Gold status. So, if you have Aegean Gold, go ahead and use that to apply for Etihad Gold.
As Etihad Gold, here is what you can expect:
- 50% Extra Bonus Miles – Enjoy 50% additional Etihad guest miles in every flight you take on Etihad Airways
- Extra Baggage Allowance – Enjoy 15 kilos additional baggage allowance on all applicable flights*
- Enhanced Lounge Access – You and a guest are invited to enjoy our luxurious Business Class Lounges before you fly across our network
- Guaranteed seats – If you make a booking at least 24 hours in advance, we will guarantee you an Economy Class seat on an Etihad Airways flight of your choice – even if the flight is fully booked.
- Fast-Track Access – Upon arrival at your destination, skip the queue at border control to enjoy a speedy exit*
Great For Your Cheap Etihad Fares!
As you can see, having Etihad Gold would be very beneficial if you are flying economy on the incredibly cheap Etihad fares from last year. Not only would you receive more miles if crediting to Etihad, but you would receive extra baggage, lounge access, and other perks depending on the destination.
If you are a Gold member of any other program, they should all work as well. It you want to go for this for an upcoming flight and you do not currently have any status, consider using your Southwest Companion Pass to apply for a status match to Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K and then match that to Etihad. That would be even more helpful if you want to make use of your new Alaska status as well – two elite statuses simply from having the Companion Pass (there have been many reports of the Companion Pass matching to Alaska Air).