Running with Miles does not have direct links to credit cards. If you would like to help support the site with your applications, please check out the links on this page for offers.
Another Tuesday is here – which normally means that there is a new Southwest sale! This one starts at $39 from the cheapest city pair and goes up from there and it is good for flights booked through June 14. Time to book some travel or check your current reservations for savings!
New Southwest Sale from $39
Link: Southwest Sale from $39
- Purchase from February 21 through March 2, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid March 14 through June 14, 2017.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid from April 18 – May 18, 2017.
- International travel valid April 18 – May 19, 2017
- Domestic travel is valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays
- Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday.
- International travel is valid Monday – Thursday.
- Travel to Cancun, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Cancun, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from Mexico City; Liberia, Costa Rica and San Jose, Costa Rica is valid daily.
- See more details here
While Southwest sales are not a surprise, they really give a good chance to get some bargains on certain routes. This type of sale from Southwest is one of my favorite ones (not nearly as good as the $49s) since there are not really any blackout times of year for this sale duration and it is only valid for about a week. The longer sales typically have fewer deals and the ones with blackouts are never that helpful for popular travel times anyway.
Good Point Values
Even though the value of Southwest points is “fixed” around 1.5 cents per point, there are always better redemptions available than that! Just playing around with a number of city pairs, I was able to see some that were anywhere from 1.9 cents – 2.3 cents per point! That is a nice way to get some extra value from your Southwest points!
Check Your Reservations to Save Money/Points!
The real benefit of these sales is for you to check your existing Southwest reservation and see if the fare is any cheaper right now. This is very common because many people will book as far out as they can when the schedule opens to ensure they have the flight. Then, with Southwest’s generous cancellation/change policy, you can make changes to the reservation and always make sure you are booked at the lowest price.
Cancellation and Change Policy
If you have already booked your tickets in the past, you can still take advantage of the sale. Southwest has the best cancellation/rebooking policy of the US airlines. Basically, as long as you cancel by 10 minutes before the flight, you get the points back in your account for free and with no penalty. That means you are free to make any changes you want without any problems or loss of points or cash!
Check Your Already-Booked Reservations For Price Difference
So, now is the time to search for your tickets within this sale and see if you have a better price available now than when you had booked it. If the price has dropped, you simply select to change the flight and look at the same dates and flights again. Once you go through and confirm, you will receive a refund of the difference in miles and the cash for the taxes will be transferred for the new ticket.
In 1 Minute, You Can Have Your Points Back!
The whole process takes less than 60 seconds and you could save a lot of money or points! If you had booked your ticket in the past using cash, you will receive a refund in the form of a credit that is usable for 1 year from the time you originally booked the ticket. If you booked it with points, you will receive the points back in your account for the difference.
It is a great time to lock in reservations now and then you can always change later (for free) if the dates or travel no longer suits you. If you booked a while ago, you will have a decent shot at getting some money/points back with this sale. That is always a good thing and a great reason to shop with Southwest.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.