The IHG card is certainly one great hotel card to get for two reasons – one is that the points open up a lot of free night possibilities with the IHG PointBreak hotels and the other reason is that you get an annual free night at any IHG hotel. While the card has been up to 80,000 points + $50, this offer is currently the best public offer.
The IHG Card Offer With 60,000 Points + $50
Here are the details on this particular card offer:
- Receive a $50 statement credit after your first purchase
- Receive 60,000 IHG points after spending $1,000 in 3 months
- Receive Platinum elite status as long as you hold the card
- Receive an annual free night certificate for any IHG hotel
- Receive an introductory $0 annual fee for the first year, $49 every year after
- 5X – Earn 5 points per $1 spent when you stay at IHG hotels
- 2X – Earn 2 points per $1 on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores & restaurants
- 1X – Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- 10% – Automatic 10% point rebate
- You are eligible to receive this bonus as long as you do not currently have the card and it has been at least 24 months since you last received the bonus
The IHG card has an incredibly low spending threshold for the value you receive. You only need to spend $1,000 in 3 months to get the 60,000 points. Not only that, but with the first purchase, you will get a $50 statement credit, which is free money!
Use Of Points
If you wait for IHG PointBreak hotels, you can get as many as 12 free nights with this offer. That is huge! These come out every couple of months so it is a great way to be sure you are ready for these when they come out.
If you choose to use the points for something else, you can redeem for a top category hotel for one night (at 50,000 points) and still have 10,000 points left over. There are some great hotels out there that you can redeem for – check out my review of the Willard InterContinental in Washington, DC for an example.
Other Card Benefits
This card comes with enough benefits to keep this card year after year. The best is the annual free night. That is like getting 50,000 points (if you were going to use them for a top category!) each year. In addition to that, you also get a 10% rebate on points used. So after you use the 60,000 points, you will have another 6,000 points to spend. So, technically, it is like getting 13 nights at PointBreak hotels!
The elite status is nice as well but is no longer top tier as IHG introduced their Spire status last year. Still, it is better than nothing!
Public Offer vs Targeted Offer
If you can get the targeted offer of 80,000 points or the 80,000 points + $50 statement credit, that is easily the better offer. Several people have had success applying for this card and then messaging Chase after to get bumped up to the 80,000 points. YMMV.
Check out this post for how you may be able to get targeted for these better offers.
The IHG card is a powerful hotel card with a great bonus. Even though the public offer is not currently at 80,000 points, the 60,000 points can still get you a tremendous amount of value. If you would like to earn the points without applying for the card, check out this post by Deals We Like for how you could get at least 47,000 IHG points.