For the last many years, American Express has celebrated small businesses by proclaiming the Saturday after Thanksgiving as their Small Business Saturday. This was a day they would give bonuses and cash back for customers to shop at these small businesses on that day. They have been as generous as getting a huge percentage of cash back and a bit stingy as well. This year, it appears it is something different altogether – pleasantly so for many customers focused on earning points.
Earn 2X Bonus Points with Your American Express Cards at Small Businesses
Now through December 31, 2016, you will earn 2x points on all your basic points earning on various American Express cards when you shop at small businesses. This means you will not earn double on bonus categories (like the new 5x points on airline purchases with the Amex Platinum – no 10x with this bonus!) but it is still generous on many different cards and a nice incentive to check the small business map.
It is capped to the first $100,000 in spending on personal cards and $250,000 on business cards. You will need to register your cards before you start spending. You can do that here.
Here are the cards (see this page as well – also for registering) this new 2x bonus points promo is good on.
Personal Cards Eligible All Flavors
- American Express Gold Cards
- American Express Platinum
- American Express Everyday
- American Express Blue
- American Express Premier Rewards Gold
- American Express Green Card
- American Express Delta Cards
- American Express Hilton Cards
- American Express SPG Card
- American Express Plenti Card
Here is the list of Business Cards Eligible
- American Express Business Green
- American Express Business Gold Rewards
- American Express Business Platinum
- American Express Blue for Business
- American Express Business Delta Cards
- American Express SimplyCash Business
- American Express SPG Business
- American Express Lowe’s Business
Finding the Small Businesses
You must register for each card separately. To view the map of eligible small businesses, see this page.
If this completely replaces Small Business Saturday promos with cash back, I know there will be many disappointed customers. That was a great time to buy gift cards at a significant discount from retailers that interested many. But, it is still a good promo and one you should register for to make sure you are taking advantage of these opportunities.
Do not forget that some small businesses show up in the Amex Offers section as well so there is the chance to double dip with 2x bonus points and some cash back!