Here are some great fare sales – and even though it is just Southwest and JetBlue, history tells us that it will not stay Southwest and JetBlue! Whenever these carriers launch sales, the legacy airlines typically match them as well, so keep an eye out if you are interested in only flying your preferred carrier. If you do not care but like cheap airfare, check out these sales!
What is a wonderful thing about fare sales from Southwest and JetBlue is that their award redemption program is based on the revenue price of the ticket. That means that their points are worth a fixed value. But it also means that sales like this give you the chance to redeem those points at a lower amount because of the sale. In some cases, you can get a one-way on Southwest during this sale for only 2,500 points – which is the amount they were giving for new accounts earlier in the year!
Southwest Fare Sale
Southwest is definitely the more generous of these two sales. Their one-way fares are constructed at fixed amounts and are typically based on distance and connection. The cheapest of them is at the $49 amount for a one-way, short-haul fare. The amount of points required? 2,475 points for one-way travel! And you thought British Airways Avios were the cheapest short-haul at 4,500 points? 🙂
Here are the details:
- Fare sale link with information here
- Must book by June 5 at 11:59PM (based on the originating city
- For travel between August 25 – December 17
- Blackout days – September 1, November 21 – December 2
- Sale not valid for travel on Fridays or Sundays
- Travel to Florida or Nevada is valid Sunday through Wednesday only. Additionally, travel from Florida or Nevada is valid Tuesday through Friday only. Travel between Nevada and Florida is valid on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.
- You can see more of the terms and conditions here.
There are some great fare options available – they are space limited so hurry up and book now! Remember, with Southwest Rapid Reward points, you can always cancel and get all of your points back (as long as you cancel before 10 minutes of departure). Perfect for the traveler who might change their mind later!
JetBlue Fare Sale
The JetBlue fare sale is a bit more restrictive. The dates of travel are more limited and the calendar of the sale is tighter. But, it is still a fare sale and will more than likely be useful for some readers! Here are the details:
- Book June 3 – 4, 2014 (the earlier of 11:59 PM ET or local time).
- Travel July 8 – November 1, 2014 (blackout date: September 2, 2014). Must fly Tuesday and Wednesday only.
- Sale fare link here
Unfortunately, gone are the days of the sub-$100 round-trip fare from Rochester to JFK! With this sale, it is $84 one-way, which actually is not as good as their winter fares but is still pretty good for summer travel. One of the nice things about JetBlue is that they do have a fair amount of international destinations that are bookable through this sale.
So, what looks good to you? For me, I always love a sub-5,000 point round-trip deal to the Washington DC area! Not only, but if you want to make it a long weekend and you live within a few hundred miles of Baltimore, this deal is applicable for the Baltimore Marathon! I loved that marathon and thought it was a great route. Look at info about it here.