IHG updated their Points Break hotel list last weekend and go into affect today. The Points Break list is the best deal in hotel awards. It allows you to receive a free night during the promotional period for 5,000 points (which is a good deal less than the normal cost). The list rotates every so often. This current list is good for hotel stays through March 31, 2014.
Points Break Hotel List
There are many hotels on the list so I will not listing them all here. However, if you are curious what hotels are available for booking this time around, head over here for the whole list. However, I did want to take this time to highlight some of the hotels that may work for the marathoners who have a race coming up before March 31, 2014. Even if you already have a hotel reserved, as long as it wasn’t a prepaid rate, you can still cancel that hotel and reserve one of these (which can also be cancelled).
- Mercedes-Benz Mercedes Marathon (Birmingham, AL) – candlewood suites Birmingham
- Austin Marathon – Holiday Inn Express NW Austin
- 26.2 with Donna – The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer (Jacksonville, FL) – Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville-Blount Island
- Post Oak Lodge Trail Marathon (Tulsa, OK) – Candlewood Suites Tulsa and Crowne Plaza Tulsa
- Little Rock Marathon – Candlewoods Suites West Little Rock
- Stanky Creek Marathon (Bartlett, TN) – Holiday Inn Express Millington/Memphis
- Lake Natoma Marathon (Sacramento, CA) – Staybridge Suites Sacramento Airport Natomas and Holiday Inn Express West Sacramento
Getting the Points – IHG Rewards Club Visa
application link – Chase IHG Rewards Club Visa – 80,000 points after spending $1,000 in 90 days (I do not receive a commission for this card) Note: This link takes you to a landing page without the terms of the bonus offer listed. There have been no reports of anyone not getting the 80K points. For more info, see thisflyertalk link. If you feel more comfortable seeing the bonus offer spelled out, there is another offer that gives60,000 points instead available here – I do not receive a commission for this either).
You may not receive the points from the above card in time for this promo if you have your eyes on a particular property, but it is definitely a great card to get and hold for more Points Break hotels. The points from this offer will give you 16 nights at Point Break hotels! Not only that, but it also gives you a free night certificate at any IHG hotel annually (the annual fee is $49) and gives you IHG Platinum elite status (highest IHG status) as long as you hold the card. Great card that should be a keeper!
You can also transfer them from Chase Ultimate Rewards but that is normally not the best value (especially if the hotel can be obtained for around $60-75). However, if you really want one of these, do know that it is an option!