Last month, people started noticing their American Express Premier Rewards Gold cards carrying new benefits, specifically 4X Membership Reward points at supermarkets and dining credits. Now, American Express has formalized these benefits and rolled them out with a refreshed card – the new American Express Gold Card. Not only does it retain these new benefits but it also comes with an increased annual fee.
New American Express Gold Card Is Live
Link: American Express Gold Card (to get the 50,000 point offer, make sure you click that referral link, select to view Personal Cards, and then select the card from that following page – see more details in this post).
This card is positioned to be an attractive option for the person who likes earning increased points on supermarket shopping and restaurants. This increased bonus category even beats out the very popular Chase Sapphire Reserve on dining by offering 4X Membership Reward points.
- Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back. Offer available to new Card Members who apply by 1/9/2019.
- Plus, earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months. See this post for how to get 50,000 MR points instead!
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at US restaurants.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at US supermarkets, on up to $25,000 per year in purchases.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- NEW $120 DINING CREDIT- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at participating partners. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required
- $100 AIRLINE FEE CREDIT– Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $100 per calendar year in statement credits when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your American Express® Gold Card account.
- Annual fee: $250
- Can select a Rose Gold or traditional Gold colored card
The New Card Perks
It will also come with $120 in dining credits per year, spread out as a $10 max credit each month. These are good for Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. So, if you wanted to stop in at the Cheesecake Factory every month, you could get a “free” slice of cheesecake with this. 🙂
For the first 3 months for new members, you will also be able to take advantage of a statement credit of 20% back on US restaurant purchases, up to $100 back. This is American Express really trying to get new members used to using this card for dining!
But, all of this comes with an increased annual fee – $250 per year up from $195. The bad part is that the annual fee is not even waived for the first year for new members.
It also comes with a 25,000 point bonus after spending $2,000 in 3 months. Personally, since you can only get one sign-up bonus in a lifetime from Amex, I would hold out on this card until they either waive the annual fee or give out more points as a bonus. As it currently stands, getting 25,000 points for a $250 annual fee is really not a great deal (though you do get statement credits for dining, airline, and the new bonuses as well).
HT: Frequent Miler
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.