This promo has already been extended once but now it is set to end on Monday. If you are looking to fatten up your AA mileage balance, this is a great way to do it with up to 50% in bonus AA miles. You already receive a bonus of 5,000 miles when you transfer in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints. With this bonus, you also receive a 20% bonus. So, transferring that same 20,000 Starpoints will get you a total of 30,000 AA miles – not too bad!
Last Days For Extra AA Miles When You Transfer SPG Points
Great redemption with AA miles – etihad’s a380 apartment class
The transfer does not happen immediately – it will take a few days. But, you only need to initiate the transfer by August 31 to receive the extra 20% bonus. Below is the pertinent transfer details to take advantage of this nice bump.
Here are the details for the transfer bonus:
- Valid for transfers between July 1 –now August 31, 11:59PM CT
- To receive the extra 5,000 miles, you must transfer your Starpoints in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The 20% AA bonus applies to any transfers of Starpoints – they do not have to be in blocks of 20,000 Starpoints
- The transfer is not reversible or refundable so make sure you transfer what you need
- Can only transfer 79,999 Starpoints per 24 hour period (so, do not transfer more than 60,000 Starpoints to make sure you get the 5,000 mile bonus per 20,000 point block)
- Transfers can take a few days to convert and the bonus miles from AA will post within 7 business days following the miles showing up in the account
If you have any planned travel coming up on American Airlines or their partners, this is a great way to convert a lot of miles and earn a significant bonus. At the same time, there very well may be some devaluation coming to their award program at some point. Nothing has been said but it would not be surprising to anyone. I say all that to say, do not use this transfer promo just to leave the miles in your AA account. Make sure have a use for them. At first I had considered taking advantage of this promo since I enjoy using AA miles, but in the long run, my family and I will get some more value out of using them for actual hotel stays – like this awesome family-sized hotel we stayed at for 5 days for 40,000 points.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.