SPG points transfer to airlines with the bonus of 5,000 miles for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred. This works great, especially with airlines that do not have other transfer partners. In this case, this Aeroplan bonus will add even more value to your SPG points when you transfer them to Aeroplan.
Get More Value From Your SPG Points With This New Aeroplan Bonus
Link: Aeroplan Transfer Bonus
Aeroplan Bonus Details:
- Bonus offer valid only on conversions received from eligible hotel partner loyalty programs points into Aeroplan Miles made between November 6 and December 11, 2017 (11:59 EDT).
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be issued by Aeroplan as follows: once the total Aeroplan Miles are earned by exchanging points from any combination of eligible partner programs during the promotion, the bonus miles deposited will represent 30% of the total miles earned from the exchange,
- BONUS MILE CREDITING: Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4-6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of December 11, 2017.
- *The total amount of miles received from the conversion of hotel loyalty program points into Aeroplan miles must be greater than or equal to 5,000 Aeroplan Miles in order to be eligible to receive the 30% bonus.
- This offer is not applicable to Hotel+Air package redemptions offered by Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest. Bolding mine
Don’t forget – SPG points do not transfer instantly to Aeroplan and can take a few days!
Aeroplan is offering a boost of 30% on the points transferred over. This works with the following hotel programs:
- Club Carlson
- Best Western
- Wyndham Rewards
- COAST Hotels
- Choice Hotels
- Le Club Accor Hotels
- Shrangi-La Hotels
You will need to check the various hotel programs for their transfer ratio to airlines. SPG has the strongest transfer ratio of 1:1 with a 5,000 mile boost for every block of 20,000 points transferred (only up to 79,999 per day so make sure you only transfer 60,000 points to maximize it).
The Value of this Aeroplan Bonus
This means that during this Aeroplan bonus promo, transferring 20,000 SPG points to Aeroplan would result in 33,750 Aeroplan points. With business class flights between the US and much of Europe at 55,000 miles (57,500 miles for Eastern Europe), that means you would be able to get there with only 40,000 Starpoints (which would total 67,500 miles, more than enough!).
It also means you are just 2,500 miles shy of being able to redeem for something like Lufthansa First Class between the US and Frankfurt! That is an incredible value so check it out and run the math to see if it works for you.
Make It Even Better
Link: SPG Discount On Points
Through December 29, 2017, you can get a 35% discount when buying SPG points. If you max out the 30,000 point limit, it will cost you $682.50. When transferred over to Aeroplan with this bonus (and the 5,000 mile bonus when transferring a block of 20,000 Starpoints), you will have a total of 45,500 Aeroplan miles. It will have cost you 1.5 cents each for those.
It is a better deal if you already have some Starpoints and need the boost to get to a business class reward. Or, you can have someone living at the same address of your SPG account purchase 30,000 points as well and transfer them to you.
This would give you a better value since the total of the 60,000 Starpoints would give you 15,000 bonus miles (because of the 5,000 mile bonus on blocks of 20K points). If you transferred 60,000 SPG points to Aeroplan, you would have a total of 97,500 Aeroplan miles – at a cost of 1.4 cents each.
Yes, that is still quite a price to pay but if you want some amazing business class ticket or need an account top up before transferring, it can be a great deal.
While I would normally prefer to transfer my SPG points to Aegean for their lower business class awards (45,000 miles from US – Greece vs 57,500 miles with Aeroplan), this transfer bonus definitely makes it more appealing to transfer to Aeroplan – especially since you can only have one connection with Aegean.
I took advantage of the 35% transfer bonus this past summer with Aeroplan and was able to get incredible value from my Starpoints. If I had another award in mind with Star Alliance at this time, I would likely do it again.
Disclaimer: I do want to make sure people know that I may get a commission if you purchase SPG points through the above link. I want to make that clear since buying miles can be a big deal sometimes if you are not sure about a trip and I don’t want you feeling pressured to do it because there is a sale – especially when I would make money from it! 🙂