There was quite a bit of noise a few weeks ago that the Citi Premier 50K offer was going away – and it did drop to 40,000 points. However, it is back again at 50,000 points but with a change this time around.
Edit:It appears to be coming and going so keep trying to get it to come up. It is still live for me several times as of 2/20.
Citi Premier 50K Offer Is Back – With A Change
The Citi Premier card is a favorite among many because of how valuable their points can be. The points can be transferred to a variety of partners or used for travel by themselves (the value increases if you have the Citi Prestige when used on AA purchases – 1.6 cents per point).
So, what changed? It used to be that you would earn the 50,000 points after spending $3,000 in 90 days. They have changed that and now require you to spend $3,500 in 90 days. A $500 difference may not seem like that much but to Citi, it represents a lot of money that they will earn from transaction fees (from the seller/retailer, not you).
Details About The Citi Premier 50K Offer:
- Receive 50,000 points when you spend $3,500 in 90 days
- 3X points on travel (gas, airfare, hotels, cruises, car rentals, travel agencies, railways, public transportation, tolls, taxis, parking, more)
- 2X points on dining and entertainment
- 1 point on everything else
- $95 annual fee waived the first year
To see more about this card, read this post about it going head to head with the Amex SPG card. Also, read this review of it to get a better idea about it as well.
Using The Points
If you use these points for travel, you will get 1.25 cents per point in value when going through the ThankYou Travel Center. If you want to transfer them to a travel program, here are their partners:
- Hilton – 1,500:1,000
- Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific) – 1,000:1,000
- EVA Air Infinity- 1,000:1,000
- Etihad Guest – 1,000:1,000
- Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) – 1,000:1,000
- Garuda Indonesia – 1,000:1,000
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich – 1,000:1,000
- Qantas – 1,000:1,000
- Qatar Airways – 1,000:1,000
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer – 1,000:1,000
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid – 1,000:1,000
- Virgin America Elevate – 500:1,000
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club – 1,000:1,000
This is a great card and one with very strong earning potential. If you get it, you can earn 3X points on all kinds of travel, even gas! When it comes to redeeming those points, they do not have the same partners as Chase or Amex but they do have some interesting ones. If the partners do not interest you, you can always use the points directly for travel at a rate of 1.25 cents per point. No matter how you look at it, it is a great card.