The new Aeroplan program will be launching November 8 and we talked about that new program here. As we head into the days leading up to it (and after), you can expect to see some features and activities taking longer or paused altogether. Here is what to expect.
I look forward to using a much more improved new Aeroplan award site for sure so hopefully it will go well! Also, I hope it gets up and going on time as I may need to book a different flight to get back home during this timeframe. 🙂
Aeroplan Will Have Delays or Pauses In the Next Two Weeks
Whenever a loyalty program switches to a new program or platform, there are always some hiccups along the way. To lessen those from turning into major problems, the program halts or delays certain activities to make sure that nothing gets lost in the transition. I remember when Hyatt made the move several years ago to a new system, they were down longer than they had planned and it caused many issues for people that couldn’t access their accounts.
Between the evening of November 6 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, it will not be possible to enroll in the Aeroplan program, to make changes to an existing account, or to combine two Aeroplan accounts.
Here is what Aeroplan has said you can expect in the days leading up to the new program. I have included all of that below.
Earning points with partners
Between October 30 and November 9, 2020, should you complete an activity with one of our partners, there will be a delay in Aeroplan points crediting to your Aeroplan account.
Beginning November 10, normal points crediting will resume, and all points earned in the days prior will be credited automatically. We appreciate your patience and, as always, we encourage you to keep your boarding passes, ticket receipts and any other receipts in a safe place until all your points are credited.
Missing points requests for flight activities
Between October 17 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, it will not be possible to request missing Aeroplan points for flight activities.
- Until October 16, submit your missing points request by completing Aeroplan’s online form.
- Beginning November 8, simply go to aircanada.com/aeroplan to request any missing points.
Remember to always keep your boarding pass, ticket receipts and other supporting documents in a safe place, as you will need them for your request.
Between October 30 and November 8, 2020, the Aeronote program will be unavailable.
Points conversion programs
Between the evening of November 6 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, the option to convert partner points to Aeroplan points will be unavailable.
- Until November 6, you can go to the Aeroplan website to convert the points you earn with our eligible partners into Aeroplan points.
- Beginning November 8, convert those partner points into Aeroplan points by going to aircanada.com/aeroplan.
Aeroplan Flight Awards
Between the evening of November 6 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, it will not be possible to book new Aeroplan flight rewards, or to change or cancel an existing flight reward. If you need immediate support for changes to an existing flight reward for travel between November 6 and November 9, the Aeroplan Contact Centre will be ready to assist you at 1-800-361-5373.
- Until November 6, you can book your flight reward or cancel an existing booking free of charge by logging in to your account at the Aeroplan website.
- Beginning November 8:
- Book your flight reward with us by selecting “Points” directly above the flight search fields on aircanada.com.
- Retrieve your existing flight reward from the ‘My bookings’ tab on the aircanada.com homepage using your last name and booking reference.
Please note that you may continue to purchase Air Canada tickets in cash on aircanada.com or through Air Canada Reservations, without interruption.
Other Aeroplan Awards
Car and hotel rewards
Between November 1 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, you will not be able to redeem Aeroplan points for car rentals and hotel stays.
Activities and merchandise rewards
Between November 6 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, you will not be able to redeem Aeroplan points for merchandise, gift cards or activities.
AC Bid Upgrades with points
Between the evening of November 6 and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, bids for upgrades to a higher cabin class with Aeroplan points will not be processed. We will do our best to proactively review requested upgrades in advance of this window.
In the meantime, you can still place your bidExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. on eligible flights for a chance to enjoy the added comfort and luxury of a premium cabin. The service will resume fully on November 8.
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards
Beginning November 1, 2020, we will be suspending our participation in Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, which means Aeroplan members will not be able to request upgrades on flights operated by Star Alliance partners.
- Until October 31, if you have an eligible reservation with one of the Star Alliance member airlines, make sure to request your upgrade on the Aeroplan website.
- Our participation in Star Alliance Upgrade Awards is scheduled to resume later in 2021. Rest assured that should you need to cancel a Star Alliance Upgrade Award booked prior to October 31, your Aeroplan points will be credited back to your Aeroplan account.
Air Canada Altitude Status
Choosing your 2020 Altitude Select Privileges
If you reached Air Canada Altitude status and have yet to choose your Select Privileges for 2020, please note that the final date to do so is October 31, 2020. As in previous years, after that date, it will not be possible to make a selection.
For more on Select Privileges, visit the Air Canada Altitude website.
As part of the new Aeroplan, we have simplified the pricing of flight rewards. With that, we have also simplified the Priority Rewards benefit.
- Until November 6, you can continue to use your current Priority Rewards when booking a flight reward using your Aeroplan points through the Aeroplan website.
- Beginning November 8, Aeroplan 35K Members and above will automatically receive Priority Reward vouchers, which they can use immediately to enjoy 50% off the base fare in Aeroplan points when booking an eligible flight reward.
Learn more about the new Priority Rewards.
2021 Elite Status Qualification
With the relaunch of Aeroplan, Air Canada Altitude is becoming Aeroplan Elite Status. If you reach a higher status after October 31, 2020, you can expect to see your new status reflected in your account by the week of November 15, 2020.
As a reminder, in light of the impact of COVID-19, whatever Altitude status you currently hold in 2020 will be automatically extended through the end of 2021 as Aeroplan Elite Status.
Aeroplan 35K members and above can expect to receive their new Elite Status membership kit before the end of this year. In January 2021, we will invite you to choose your 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status Select Benefits.
Million Mile Recognition
Members who reach Million Mile status after October 31, 2020 will see this new status reflected in their account by the week of November 15, 2020.
Threshold Gifts and Threshold eUpgrades
Members who reach a Status Qualifying Mile or Qualifying Segment threshold which is eligible for a Threshold Gift or Threshold eUpgrades after October 31, 2020 may experience a delay of up to 3 weeks before receiving their gift or eUpgrade credits.
Aeroplan Credit Cards
New Air Canada travel benefits
Beginning when the transformed Aeroplan launches on November 8, 2020, the new credit card benefits will automatically activate for existing Aeroplan credit cardholders. There is nothing you need to do, and you can keep using your card as you do today. However, we encourage you to ensure your Aeroplan account reflects your name and most up to date contact information.
- Until November 7, the current benefits on your card today remain the same.
- Beginning November 8, ensure your Aeroplan number has been added to your reservation to take advantage of your new benefits. Your benefits apply regardless of whether you have paid for your flight in cash, or in Aeroplan points.
Learn more about how the travel benefits associated with your Aeroplan credit card will be changing as of November 8, 2020.