Yesterday, SPG and Amex came out with their worst offer ever on the great SPG card – 2 free nights at Category 1 -5 hotels. With that limited-time offer, the best SPG card for the sign-up bonus is now the Marriott Premier card, thanks to the new Marriott and SPG integration. Here is why that is.
The Best SPG Card is Now the Marriott Premier Card
In what I believe was a dumb move by American Express (though I am sure they had their reasons), they really killed the SPG sign-up bonus yesterday with the 2 free nights. If those 2 free nights were available at any SPG property, it would have been the best all-time offer on that card. But, the most value you can get is 32,000 points worth and that is if you use them at just a few of the overall SPG properties.
The Best SPG Card for the Sign-Up Bonus
So, if you want to get as many SPG points as possible, the best SPG card for a sign-up bonus is now the Marriott Premier card.
- 80,000 Marriott Reward points after spending $3,000 in 3 months
- Earn 7,500 additional points when you add an authorized user and they use the card in the first 3 months
- Annual fee not waived – $89
This card offers 80,000 Marriott Reward points after spending $3,000 in 3 months. It also offers an authorized user bonus of 7,500 points. When you put the spending and the bonuses together, it equals a total of 90,500 points.
What? The Best SPG Card is a Marriott Card?
This is where it becomes the best SPG card. With the new Marriott and SPG integration, you can transfer Marriott Reward points to SPG at a rate of 3:1. That means those fresh 90,000 Marriott points just became 30,000 SPG points – or what the current bonus on the SPG card should be!
There are some things to consider:
- The annual fee is not waive so you will pay $85 up front
- The Marriott Premier card is included in the 5/24 rule (so if you have had 5 or more new accounts in the last 24 months, you cannot get this card)
- The Marriott Premier card is not worth keeping after the first year if you only want SPG points (the earning is only 1 point per dollar which would translate to .3 points with SPG)
As long as you are ok with those points above, I would go ahead and get the Marriott Premier card. It is a great way to build up your SPG point balance which is great if you need to transfer points to a multitude of airlines or if you want to get in on the great SPG Moments packages.
Find out how to transfer your Marriott points to SPG instantly!
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.