Buying miles and points can be a tricky proposition. If you have a redemption in mind and you are able to get business/first class for only a bit more by purchasing points instead of buying an economy ticket, it makes for a great idea to buy the miles. But, with the fluctuations of mileage charts and programs, it is not really a good idea to speculatively buy a large amount of miles (or maybe even any), even during a promo.
However, if you are looking for a way to get some more AA miles and have already gotten your AA cards for now, this bonus runs until January 31 and gives up to a 50% bonus as it is a tiered bonus based on the amount of miles you purchase. Funnily enough, buying the maximum amount of miles (100,000 miles) does not give you the best value as the most bonus miles you can receive from this promo is 35,000 miles. That makes the purchase of 70,000 miles to be the best bang for the buck. It is still not cheap but it may work for your situation.
After taking into account the 7.5% tax and $35 fee on a 70,000 mile purchase, you will have paid $2,254 for 105,000 miles (using the 70,000 number to maximize the bonus). That works out to paying 2.1 cents per point. That is still a bit rich for my taste when buying miles but it may work for someone!
Here is the tiered bonus structure (this works for buying or gifting miles):
- 5,000 – 14,000 / Bonus 1,000 miles
- 15,000 – 24,000 / Bonus 5,000 miles
- 25,000 – 49,000 / Bonus 10,000 miles
- 50,000 – 69,000 / Bonus 22,500 miles
- 70,000 – 100,000 / Bonus 35,000 miles
Here are the details:
- Good through January 31, 2015
- Can only buy 100,000 miles per account per year (does not include the bonus)
- Purchases are processed by American Airlines (not points.com) so you will earn bonus points on cards that award for airfare purchases