While this is nothing like the old 100% bonus on transferring or sharing miles between US Airways accounts, this could still be useful for some people who may have orphan miles in an account and want to get them in an account with a larger mileage balance before the US Airways and American Airline programs merge.
Receive 20-30% Discount When Transferring AA/US Miles
From today through March 25, when you transfer your miles from your account to another account (US to US or AA to AA), you can receive either a 20% or 30% discount on the normal transfer fees. This can add up to real savings but the 30% savings only kicks in at the 26,000 mile level. Hopefully, you are not having to transfer that many, though there are some situations where that may be necessary.
Here are the details:
- This discount is off the cash price of transferring miles from one account to another account
- 6,000 – 25,000 mile transfers receive a 20% discount
- 26,000 – 50,000 mile transfers receive a 30% discount
- AAdvantage/US Airway members must complete a share transaction beginning 7:00 am CT February 26, 2015, to 11:59:59 pm CT March 25, 2015 to be eligible for a discount.
- Discount applies to the mileage transfer cost and does not apply toward the $20 transaction processing charge.
- AAdvantage accounts less than 30 days old are not permitted to Share miles.
- Dividend accounts (US Airways) less than 12 days old are not permitted to share miles.
- The miles transferred with the Share Miles program do not count towards status qualification
Since both US Airways and American Airlines process these transactions “in-house” now (instead of using Points.com), you can earn bonus miles/points when using a card that gives bonuses for air travel (or the US Airways/AA credit cards).
Good Deal Or No?
It is nice to have this as a savings option if you were looking to do a transfer (which I was) but it will depend on your needs for the mileage. If you have received the anniversary bonus on your US Airways credit card of 10,000 miles and that is all that is in that account, you would get more value out of transferring that to a friends/family member’s account to pool those miles for great options. To transfer the 10,000 miles will cost $120, so figure out what your redemption plans are before initiating the transfer.