With the matchup decided for Super Bowl 50 of the Denver Broncos vs Carolina Panthers, fans from both teams and of football in general will descend upon Santa Clara, California in just under 2 weeks. The host stadium is the home of the San Francisco 49ers and already hotels have been disappearing at a fast rate.
Getting Huge Value From Your Points For Super Bowl 50 Hotels
But, if you want to go out there for the Super Bowl (not even to attend the game but maybe for one of the other events that will undoubtedly go on around the city), all is not lost at getting a great deal! Because there are still some hotels available with points and they will give you some unbelievable value over the actual cost of the room!
Disclaimer: At the time of this post – afternoon of Monday, 1/25 – all of these properties showed availability. I cannot guarantee that will continue for long so move fast!
Of course you can find space, and some lower prices, at hotels located quite a bit away but I will not be focusing on those. Rather, I will demonstrate with hotels that are relatively near (say, under 20 minutes) from the stadium.
- Best Western Plus, Mountain View (10 miles) – $329 or 32,000 points (1 cent per point)
- Quality Inn & Suites, Silicon Valley (4 miles) – $600 or 24,000 points (2.5 cents per point)
- Quality Inn, Silicon Valley (7 miles) – $900 or 30,000 points (3 cents per point)
- Quality Inn & Suites, Sunnyvale (4 miles) – $450 or 25,000 points (1.8 cents per point)
- Quality Inn & Suites At NASA Ames (5 miles) – $550 or 30,000 points (1.8 cents per point)
- Clarion Inn, Silicon Valley (9 miles) – $700 or 20,000 points (3.5 cents per point)
Nothing available, with points or cash
- Hampton Inn & Suites, Mountain View (7 miles) – $800 or 40,000 points (2 cents per point)
- Doubletree by Hilton Newark-Fremont (13 miles) – $300 or 30,000 points (1 cent per point)
Nothing available, with points or cash
- Staybridge Suites, Silicon Valley (5 miles) – $450 or 25,000 points (1.8 cents per point)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Fremont (11 miles) – $359 or 20,000 points (1.8 cents per point)
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, San Francisco San Carlos (19 miles) – $359 or 25,000 points (1.4 cents per point)
- Aloft, Sunnyvale (6 miles) – $459 or 16,000 points (2.8 cents per point)
- Four Points by Sheraton, San Jose Airport (6 miles) – $799 or 7,000 points (11.5 cents per point)
- Days Inn, San Jose Convention Center (15 miles) – $1,400 or 15,000 points (9.3 cents per point)
- Days Inn, Fremont (10 miles) – $500 or 15,000 points (3 cents per point)
As you can see, in every case, you are actually getting way more in retail value from your hotel points than they are actually worth in regular use. Of course, the prices are drastically inflated, but it is still amazing to see that you can lock in some great rates using points for such a huge event like Super Bowl 50!
One of the themes here as well is the amount of lower category hotels on this list. Everything that is higher end is gone – not even available with cash. So, the places that would normally cost double digits are 5 or 6 times that price right now (the Days Inn San Jose is actually 12 times higher than some other days!)
Word of caution – if you do go to book one of these, make sure you read the cancellation policy! The policy for the Hampton Inn & Suites says that it is not changeable or refundable as a points reservation. Not only that, but if you do not show or you do cancel it, they will actually charge you the cash rate for your stay! Make sure you read those terms!
Obviously, it is always fun to see how much value we can squeeze out of our points, even if we would never pay the cash price. You will probably never get a higher value on your hotel points than you would if you book some of the hotels above for Super Bowl 50 – simply insane value on some of them!
One more thing, if you do plan on going and you don’t have the points or want to pay, a nice mini-van with the seats down in the back and a pillow can make for a cheap night stay – and then get a proper hotel for Monday night! 🙂
So, who is going out there for Super Bowl 50 and will you get one of these hotels?