Alaska Airlines is running another 40% sale on purchased miles, this one that is advertised as a “flash sale” as you only have this week to buy.
If you were planning on a trip in coach someplace, you may be able to put that money into buying miles and flying business instead – but you will need to check the math to see if it works for you!
New Miles Promo: Buy Alaska Airline Miles and Get a 40% Bonus
Note: If you buy miles using the link above, I will earn a small commission. Thank you for that if you do but please only buy miles if it makes sense for your award travels now! I do not recommend you buy miles on speculative award redemptions as programs can and do devalue. But, if it makes sense for you, thanks for using my link!
This one is pretty simple – the 40% bonus kicks in at 20,000 miles. If you buy anything below 20,000 miles, you will get no bonus at all. Even though this bonus is only 40% instead of the 50% a few months ago, this promotion is still not that bad.
Here are the details of this promo:
- Transactions must be completed between 6:00 AM PST March 11, 2019 and 11:59 PM PST March 17, 2019 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. for a cost of $27.50 per 1,000 miles, plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax*, and GST/HST for Canadian residents.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles to a maximum of 60,000 miles per transaction.
- Your Mileage Plan account may be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you. MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com.
- Offer is subject to change and all terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan Program apply.
- *Points.com Inc. is collecting Federal Excise Tax on behalf of Alaska Airlines Inc.
Asia in Business From 50,000 Miles!
You can get deals like 50,000 miles one way from the US to Asia with Hainan Airlines or Cathay Pacific! Or fly Cathay Pacific in First Class for 70,000 miles! That could present some terrific value since you would essentially be paying $1,064 for a one way business class ticket on Cathay Pacific. That is certainly not for everyone (I won’t be doing it) but many people wouldn’t mind spending a little more than an economy ticket (for some destinations) to get a business class award!