I was just saying to someone the other day that I was hoping SPG would throw out a race package sometime soon! And, they have delivered on that wish! There are two different events offered and both of them are sold out already directly from the race!
Use Points for Rio Marathon Package with 3 Nights
Link: Rio Marathon Package
This auction is titled about the 2018 Rio Marathon but actually only offers race options at the 10K and 6K mark. It was probably a non-runner that came up with the copy – I can’t tell you how many times I have had people tell me they ran a “5K Marathon”. 🙂
Here is what is included (the 6K race and 10K race are separate packages but the distance of the race is the only difference):
- Access to the 6K (or 10K) Race at the 2018 Rio Marathon in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on 3 June 2018
- Access to the VIP tent at the arrival arena
- Transportation from the hotel to the race starting location
- Three-night stay at the Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort, checking in 1 June 2018 and checking out 4 June 2018
- Morning kick-start breakfast delivered to your room the day of the race
- Experience is for two people
Both packages start at 10,000 Starpoints and the auctions run until April 19 at noon EDT. If you win it, it will give you about 6 weeks before the race – plenty of time to find your tickets and get some training in. (that is about how long I have for my upcoming Belgrade Marathon when I first found out about it).
That hotel itself would go for about $670 for the 3 nights or 30,000 points. Given the VIP access at the race and the transportation times 2 people plus the hotel, I would guess that this would be a nice deal to jump on for 20,000 or 25,000 points. That is if you were not planning on going to Rio anyway!
However, if you are planning on going to the Rio Marathon, then definitely go for the full 30,000 points the hotel would cost to get those extra perks to make your race day go smoother! And, know that I will be jealous of you! 🙂