Aeroplan is running a promo of a 25% bonus on transferred hotel points (there was a higher bonus of 35% last year). If you do not have any SPG points to transfer right now (the best transfer option), then you can use another bonus to purchase SPG points at a 35% discount to then transfer over!
Stack These Two Promos To Get Aeroplan Miles for Less Than 1.5 Cents Each
Promo 1 – Transfer Hotel Points to Aeroplan for 25% Bonus
Link: Aeroplan Transfer Bonus
Aeroplan Bonus Details:
- Bonus offer valid only on conversions received from eligible hotel partner loyalty programs points into Aeroplan Miles made between March 12 and April 16, 2018 (11:59 EDT).
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be issued by Aeroplan as follows: once the total Aeroplan Miles are earned by exchanging points from any combination of eligible partner programs during the promotion, the bonus miles deposited will represent 25% of the total miles earned from the exchange
- BONUS MILE CREDITING: Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4‑6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of April 16, 2018
Don’t forget – SPG points do not transfer instantly to Aeroplan and can take a few days!
Aeroplan is offering a boost of 25% on the points transferred over. This works with the following hotel programs:
- Club Carlson
- Best Western
- Wyndham Rewards
- COAST Hotels
- Choice Hotels
- Le Club Accor Hotels
- Shrangi-La Hotels
You will need to check the various hotel programs for their transfer ratio to airlines. SPG has the strongest transfer ratio of 1:1 with a 5,000 mile boost for every block of 20,000 points transferred (only up to 79,999 per day so make sure you only transfer 60,000 points to maximize it).
You can transfer as many times as you want to Aeroplan to take advantage of this promo.
Promo 2 – Buy SPG Points With 35% Discount
For the second part of this stacking deal, you can buy SPG points – if you need to. While SPG points are very valuable, I have never really bought that many of them as I generally can earn enough for what I need.
SPG Promo Details
Link: SPG Buy Promo
- Transactions must be completed between 9:00 AM ET February 1, 2018 and 11:59 PM ET March 16, 2018 to be eligible for the discount.
- Purchased points do not count towards Preferred Guest, Gold Preferred Guest, or Platinum Preferred Guest Status. Transactions are final and nonrefundable. All other terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program apply.
- Purchase up to 30,000 per account per calendar year; points are applicable toward all Starpoint awards but do not count toward elite status.
- Starpoint purchases can be made by members whose accounts have been active for a minimum of 14 days. Accounts that are less than the required 14 days in age will have the purchase attempt cancelled.
- Save 35% on all purchases of 5,000 points or more
However, if you want to redeem for some Star Alliance business class award, this kind of purchase could put you in that lie flat seat for quite a bit less than what it normally costs outright!
Running the Math
You are limited to buying 30,000 Starpoints per calendar year but you can receive transfers of points from others in your same registered household address. SPG points transfer to airlines with a 5,000 mile bonus per 20,000 points transferred. So, if you were to buy 20,000 SPG points, it would cost you $455. With the 5,000 mile bonus and the 25% transfer bonus, you would end up with 31,250 Aeroplan miles for a cost per mile of 1.45 cents per mile.
That is not that bad of a price if you need the extra Aeroplan miles for some reward. However, whenever buying miles, remember to have some use for them in the near future as airlines do devalue, sometimes without notice. If you needed some extra miles for that next trip, this could be one way to get them.