The American Express Premier Rewards Gold card is one of those cards that has become a staple in many people’s wallets over the year. It rewards 3X points when used to book airline tickets through the airline website, and 2X points at U.S. gas stations and supermarkets. The points that are earned are the flexible Membership Reward points that can be transferred to many different airline and hotel partners.
Amex Premier Rewards Gold 50,000 Point Offer
A big loss that this card sustained last year was the loss of the threshold bonus. In the past, if you spent $30,000 on the card in a calendar year, you would receive a 15,000 point bonus, effectively turning any spending of $30,000 into a bonus earning of 1.5 points per dollar on all spending (more in bonus categories). However, that card feature is no longer available.
- Earn More: earn 50K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1K during your first three months of Card membership
- Earn Fast: 3X points for flights booked with airlines, 2X points at US gas stations and US supermarkets, 1X points on other purchases.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
Special Bonus Offer
– American Express Premier Rewards Gold 50,000 Point Link (I do not receive a commission for this link)
What is available is 50,000 Membership Reward points after spending $1,000 in 3 months! That is a very low spending threshold for a premium card like this, but very welcome! The language of the offer says that it is a “Special Offer for You.” I tried this on multiple computers and devices and still received the offer so it may just be language for a limited time offering of some kind.
Finding the Offer
If you already have logged into American Express from the computer you apply from, it may not show you the offer. This has been a bug in Amex’s systems for a while. It is kind of stupid as it prevents you from seeing an offer that you are likely eligible for just because it can tell from tracking cookies that you have an Amex account. The problem is that anyone could have logged in to that computer – not just you. So, you are prevented from seeing the better offer (or an offer at all) because Amex can tell there is an Amex account holder that uses that computer.
To see the offer, if that is indeed the case with you, make sure you open this link in a private browser session. That should bring up the offer. The link is the standard Premier Rewards Gold link and that is the one that I have included here.
While some of the Membership Reward transfer partners have lost their luster in comparison to Chase and Citi’s partners, there are still some excellent values to be had when transferring points. I have bolded the ones that I think present good value (yes, I bolded Delta because they can still be used for some good redemptions, particularly partner redemptions):
- Delta Skymiles – 1:1
- Aeromexico – 1:1
- Air Canada Aeroplan – 1:1
- Alitalia Mile Miglia – 1:1
- ANA Airlines – 1:1
- Asia Miles – 1:1
- British Airways Avios – 1:1 (with occasional transfer bonuses)
- El Al – 1,000 Membership Reward points = 20 Matmid points
- Flying Blue (KLM and Air France) – 1:1 (their promo awards can get you great savings)
- Frontier – 1:1
- Hawaiian Airlines – 1:1
- Iberia Plus – 1:1
- Jetblue – 250 Membership Reward points = 200 TrueBlue points
- Singapore Airlines – 1:1
- Virgin America – 200 Membership Reward points = 100 Elevate points
- Virgin Atlantic – 1:1 (currently with a transfer bonus of 1:1.25
- Best Western Rewards – 1:1
- Choice Privileges – 1:1
- Hilton HHonors – 1,000 Membership Reward points = 1,500 HHonor points
- Starwood Preferred Guest – 1,000 Membership Reward points = 333 Starpoints
As you may know, American Express changed their policy regarding customers who have previously held their products. Because of that (and that only applies to bonus offers for new personal cards), if you have had this card before, you will not be eligible to receive the bonus on this offer. Here are the terms from Amex:
If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
If you have never had the Premier Rewards Gold card, you should be good to go!
While not as big of a bonus as the 75,000 points we have seen in the past, this is still a very strong offer and much better than the ones recently – only 25,000 points. Since you can only receive the bonus once, consider if this would fit within your application strategy at this time.
There are several great transfer partners that could easily get you at least $750 in value from this bonus. With good planning and redemptions, you could get $1,000 in value – that is the amount you must spend to get the bonus in the first place! This is a strong offer with a low minimum spending amount and should definitely be considered if you have not previously had this card.