Southwest has launched a new sale and while this is not as good as some of the sales they run, it is a good time to check your travel plans to see if you can get a cheap ticket. It is also a great time to check the reservations you have to see if you can save even more money.
Southwest Fare Sale
While this is not as good as their $49 sales, it is a good time to see if the sale fares work out for dates you have planned for a trip.
- Book by March 10, 2016
- Travel in the U.S. March 22, 2016 through June 15, 2016.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid March 29 through May 25, 2016.
- International travel March 29, 2016 through May 25, 2016.
- Domestic travel blacked out May 26-27 and May 30, 2016
- Domestic travel is valid only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Travel to/from Florida and Nevada is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid only on Mondays through Thursdays.
- International travel is valid only on Mondays through Thursdays.
- Travel to Cancún, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Cancún, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from Mexico City; Liberia, Costa Rica and San José, Costa Rica is valid daily.
Check Your Reservations!
The real benefit of these (somewhat mediocre) sales is for you to check your existing Southwest reservation and see if the fare is any cheaper right now. This is very common because many people will book as far out as they can when the schedule opens to ensure they have the flight. Then, with Southwest’s generous cancellation/change policy, you can make changes to the reservation and always make sure you are booked at the lowest price.
Cancellation and Change Policy
If you have already booked your tickets in the past, you can still take advantage of the sale. Southwest has the best cancellation/rebooking policy of the US airlines. Basically, as long as you cancel by 10 minutes before the flight, you get the points back in your account for free and with no penalty. That means you are free to make any changes you want without any problems or loss of points or cash!
Check Your Already-Booked Reservations For Price Difference
So, now is the time to search for your tickets within this sale and see if you have a better price available now than when you had booked it. If the price has dropped, you simply select to change the flight and look at the same dates and flights again. Once you go through and confirm, you will receive a refund of the difference in miles and the cash for the taxes will be transferred for the new ticket.
In 1 Minute, You Can Have Your Points Back!
The whole process takes less than 60 seconds and you could save a lot of money or points! If you had booked your ticket in the past using cash, you will receive a refund in the form of a credit that is usable for 1 year from the time you originally booked the ticket. If you booked it with points, you will receive the points back in your account for the difference.
While this is certainly not a great sale, it is a good time to check your reservations already booked. If you booked a while ago, you will have a decent shot at getting some money/points back with this sale. That is always a good thing and a great reason to shop with Southwest.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.