The IRS has said that the sixth batch of stimulus checks are going out. This equals 2 million payments in this round, totaling $3.4 billion. Here is the breakdown of who will receive them and how to track your payment in this round.
New Round of Stimulus Checks – What to Look For
This is the sixth batch of the American Rescue Plan payments. The official payment date is April 21 so you may already have the payment. If not, check further down the page to see how you can track your payments.
Here is Who This Round of Stimulus Payments is Going To
This round is headed to the following people:
- Nearly 700,000 payments, with a value of more than $1.3 billion, went to eligible individuals for whom the IRS previously did not have information to issue an Economic Impact Payment but who recently filed a tax return.
- This batch also includes additional ongoing supplemental payments for people who earlier this year received payments based on their 2019 tax returns but are eligible for a new or larger payment based on their recently processed 2020 tax returns.
- This batch included nearly 700,000 of these “plus-up” payments, with a value of nearly $1.2 billion.
- Another 600,000 payments went to Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income recipients, including those with foreign addresses.
- Overall, this sixth batch of payments contains about 900,000 direct deposit payments (with a total value of $1.5 billion) and nearly 1.1 million paper check payments (with a total value of nearly $1.8 billion).
So, this is kind of a clean-up round, sending some “plus-up” payments (which are for people who had previous payments based on an earlier return but have since had their 2020 return processed), payments to people who recently filed returns as well as Social Security beneficiaries who live overseas.
I know many of people in these categories have been waiting so this is good news for many! If you are one of the 600,000 people living overseas and receiving checks through the mail, make sure you are on the lookout for them as overseas deliveries can often be delayed!
Tracking Your Stimulus Payment
What to Look for in the Mail
So, this is what you need to look for if you are getting a prepaid debit card. Note that the IRS specifically said that the payments going in this mail – 1 million of them – are paper checks. But keep your eyes open in case it comes in the form of the prepaid debit card below.
The Visa debit cards are issued by MetaBank.
The check will be a normal check from the IRS.
Track Your Payment
Now that you know how the money is going out, the next step is finding out how your payment is/did go out. The trick for that is going to the IRS Get My Payment website. This will give you all the information about how your payment was made and when it went out.
To find out for sure, click this link to go to the IRS status tool. What you will need is your social security number, your birthdate, your address, and zip code. Right after entering that, it will give you a status message about your money. Below is what I saw with my status.
If you do not see it saying that the money will be deposited, you can check back each day as this tool is updated once per day. It will tell you if the money has been scheduled for deposit, a check sent out, or a debit card sent. If you do not recognize the bank account number shown, you will have to wait a little longer. The money will bounce back and you will eventually be issued a check or prepaid debit card.
Remember that the tool above will not let you make any changes to how you receive your payment. So, what the IRS has on file will be what they attempt to send it to.
- A payment has been processed, a payment date is available and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail. Note: mail means you may be issued an EIP Card or a check.
- You’re eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not yet available.
It will not show the amount of your 2021 Economic Impact Payment.
Payment Status Not Available: We haven’t yet processed your payment or you’re not eligible for a payment.
Need More Information: Your payment was returned to the IRS because the Postal Service was unable to deliver it. Only people who get this message can use the tool to give us bank account information.
Get help with this tool in Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions.
Track Your Payment in the Mail
If you see that your stimulus payment was sent out as a check or debit card, the next step is to set it up to track your money through the USPS. They have a handy tool that makes this easy.
While the Get My Payment tool can tell you when a check was mailed, it does not give you a delivery date. Also, there are some people that have had their checks stolen out of their mailboxes.
This great USPS tool is called Informed Delivery by USPS. This is a free service that you can setup that will send you an e-mail each weekday morning with the mail that you will be receiving. It delivers electronically a greyscale image of the front of each envelope that is set to be delivered to you.
This is accomplished through the automated scanning equipment the USPS uses for mail processing. Any mail that would go through this automated process will be sent as an image to your e-mail.
You can sign-up easily enough and verify your identity. But, it will take 3 business days for this process to be complete so if you do it today, you likely won’t have any notifications delivered before Wednesday or Thursday.
The IRS is going at a very fast pace at getting the different rounds out of the American Rescue Plan payments. While the first stimulus payments last year took months, it has been a little more than one month since the first payments went out from the ARP and already the IRS has issued 161 million payments, totaling over $379 billion.
If you are in the group above, you should be able to receive your payment this week.
Chase Sapphire Preferred – 80,000 Point Bonus Offer, worth $1,000 for Groceries, Dining , Travel & More!
The popular Chase Sapphire Preferred card is having a special bonus offer – 80,000 points and a $50 statement credit for groceries! This makes this offer worth at least $1,000 in travel, groceries, dining, or home improvement!
- Earn 80,000 points after spending $4,000 in three months
- Get a free $50 statement credit for grocery purchases!
- Transfer the points to popular airlines and hotels for maximum value!
- Use the points with Pay Yourself Back feature to pay for groceries, home improvement, and dining purchases
- Earn 2x points on all travel and dining!
- Annual fee of $95
- Application Link (this is an affiliate link that supports the site)