Disclosure: None of the credit card links in this post pay me a commission.
Last week, we looked at End of the Year Checklist: Amex Platinum Airline Fee Credit as something that needs to be attended to before the end of the year.
Today, we will look at another point on our end of the year checklist – meeting threshold goals.
Meeting Spend Goals
Credit card bonus offers are a great way to get miles and points fast! I have picked up millions of miles and points simply from signing up for credit cards and meeting the minimum spending for the sign-up bonus. However, these cards can continue to be useful for meeting threshold goals for spending. Some of the cards reward big spenders with up to 50% bonus if the threshold has been met in the course of the calendar year. If you have these cards, make sure you check your spending totals for the year to see if you are near the required amount to receive the threshold bonus! If you do not have them, I am including the application links in case you think you may be interested in the threshold bonus for next year.
American Express Premier Rewards Gold
- Spend $30,000 in a calendar year and receive 15,000 bonus Membership Reward points
- Application link – Earn 25,000 Membership Reward points after spending $2,000 in 3 months
British Airways Visa from Chase
- Spend $30,000 in a calendar year and receive a Travel Together Companion ticket – here
- Application link – Earn up to 100,000 British Airways Avios after spending a total of $20,000 in one year from membership – Annual fee – $95
Delta Airlines Platinum from American Express (business and personal)
- Spend $25,000 in a calendar year and receive 10,000 bonus Medallion Qualifying Miles and 10,000 redeemable miles (the same when you spend $50k)
- Application link (personal card) – Earn 5,000 MQMs and 35,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months – Annual fee – $150
- Application link (business card) – Earn 5,000 MQMs and 35,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months – Annual fee – $150
Delta Airlines Reserve from American Express (business and personal)
- Spend $30,000 in a calendar year and receive 15,000 bonus Medallion Qualifying Miles and 15,000 redeemable miles (the same when you spend $60K)
- Application link (personal card) – Earn 10,000 MQMs and 10,000 bonus miles after first purchase – Annual fee – $450
- Application link (business card) – Earn 10,000 MQMs after first purchase – Annual fee – $450
Hilton Reserve from Citibank
- Spend $40,000 in a calendar year and receive Hilton Diamond status (top-tier)
- Spend $10,000 in a cardmember year and receive a free weekend night
- Application link – Earn 2 free weekend nights at most Hilton hotels after spending $2,500 in the first 4 months – Annual fee – $95
Southwest Airlines Cards from Chase (personal premier, personal plus, business premier, business plus)
- Spend $110,000 across all the cards in a calendar year and receive the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass (the sign-up bonus for the cards count towards the $110,000 amount)
- Application link (for all cards) – Earn 25,000 Rapid Reward points after spending $2,000 in 3 months – Annual fee – $69 (for Plus cards) / $99 (for Premier cards)
United Airlines MileagePlus card from Chase
- Spend $25,000 in a calendar year and earn 10,000 bonus miles
- Application link – Earn 30,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in 3 months – Annual fee – $95
Checking Your Spending Status
To check and see where you are at for your spending in the year, do the following:
- Sign-in to your credit card account
- Select for spending activity
- Change the date from January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013
- Look at the total amount
- Subtract any fees, interest charges as they do not apply towards the spending amount!
For your Southwest Airlines Companion Pass status, sign on to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account and check your account details for your status. It will tell you how many points you are away from achieving the companion pass.
Do not procrastinate! It would be wise to have all of your spending to meet the goals done before December 28th to allow for delays in the charges posting. Another thing to be careful for is to make sure that you go over the minimum a bit! If you return something, it will come off of that amount. Now go check your spending status and get it taken care of! 🙂