In the weekly Southwest sale that is currently ongoing, one of the gems for travels at this time of year is for their international travel. If you want to make your plans now and get warmer weather destinations on the book for this winter, you need to book by tonight!
Book Winter Travel Now for South of the Border From $59
Like the domestic sale going on now, you can also take advantage of some pretty great prices for international travel with Southwest as well. Everything is exactly the same as domestic Southwest travel – the Southwest Companion Pass still works, you can still use points, you can cancel for free, and you still get your free bags!
But, there is one thing to know for using the Southwest Companion Pass and/or points – taxes and fees for many of these airports are going to come in at more than the typical $5.60 fee for domestic travel. So, figure that in.
Here are the details:
- 1-day advance purchase required.
- Purchase from August 29 through August 31, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- International travel valid September 19 through December 13, 2017, and January 9 through March 1, 2018.
- International travel is valid Monday – Thursday.
- Travel to Cancun, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Cancun, Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from Mexico City; Liberia, Costa Rica and San Jose, Costa Rica is valid daily.
- Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
Use Points For Greater Value!
Don’t forget that you will be paying higher taxes and fees for flights from the international destinations to the US (and some from the US) but you can still realize some great point values! In the example above, the points can give you just about 2.5 cents per point in value! That is a steal, especially when Southwest points are “fixed” at around 1.5 cents per point.
Just check your desired destinations to see which way is better – cash or points. I generally prefer points since I can always cancel and get the points back to do with whatever I want. With cash, the cancelation comes back in the form of credit that must be used within one year from the day of booking.