We are fast approaching that time of year when US Airways off-peak awards get you from North America to Europe. This is one of the best deals out there – the ability to get to Europe for as little as 30,000 miles and under $200 in taxes and fees!
US Airways Off-Peak Europe
Earlier this year, US Airways removed the business option of their off-peak European calendar. That too was a great deal – US Airways business class to Europe for as little as 55,000 miles round-trip! Even with that option gone, the economy off-peak is still a tremendous offer. Here are the details of this deal:
- Valid for travel between January 15 – February 28
- Valid only on US Airways metal (so, only to cities served directly by US Airways)
- The economy class ticket is 35,000 miles round-trip unless you hold the US Airways Mastercard – then subtract 5,000 miles from the ticket (this discount works for everyone on the reservation if ticketed from a card holder’s account)
Cities and Marathons
Below is the list of European destinations US Airways serves (some of them are seasonal destinations and may not be operating during the off-peak time):
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Shannon, Ireland
- Dublin, Ireland
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Madrid, Spain
- Manchester, UK
- London, UK
- Barcelona, Spain
- Paris, France
- Brussels, Belgium
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Munich, Germany
- Venice, Italy
- Rome, Italy
- Athens, Greece
Since this is the off season in Europe, are there races that you may want to include in your travels? Here is a list of the marathons in Europe during this timeframe (you can always use inter-European transportation – which can be cheap – to get from your US Airways arrival city to the marathon site).
- Gran Canaria Marathon (January 26) – Canary Islands, Spain (I have not run this race but have been to the Canary Islands and they are beautiful!)
- Naples Marathon (January 19) – Naples, Italy
- Siracusa City Marathon (January 26) – Siracusa, Italy
- Centraal Beheer Achmea Midwinter Marathon (February 2) – Apeldoom, Netherlands
- Bad Salzuflen Marathon (February 22) – Bad Salzuflen, Germany
- Seville Marathon (February 23) – Seville, Spain
- Verdi Places Marathon (February 23) – Salsomaggiore, Italy
These are just the marathons in Europe that I found. These off-peak awards are so good, though, that you could get to Europe, spend a few days in one of those cities and then take a different (cheap) flight to someplace else that has a marathon (there are many in Asia in that timeframe).
Booking the Ticket
This is one of the most straightforward award bookings possible. That is because you can only get this offer by booking US Airways flights. To start, go to US Airways website – here
Getting the Miles
If you do not have the 30,000 miles (or 35,000 miles if you do not have the US Airways Mastercard), you can apply for the card to get the miles (all in one application) or you can purchase them at 1.1 cents per mile through October 15th (see this post for information about the promo). The US Airways Off-Peak awards to Europe are definitely one of the best values in the industry – prepare yourself by collecting the miles now!
Application Link – US Airways Mastercard – 35,000 Miles after first purchase & 10K miles each year (I do not receive a commission for this link)
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.