United Airlines has rolled out another award sale – this time to the countries of Brazil and Chile. For travel over the next few months, you can save 25% of your miles when redeeming for travel from the US/Canada to Brazil and Chile.
United Award Sale To Brazil And Chile
Starting today (August 19), you can book roundtrip award travel from the US/Canada to either Brazil or Chile for only 45,000 miles. With the normal cost of a roundtrip in economy being 60,000 miles, this is a very good savings!
To put things in perspective, American Airlines charges 60,000 miles for a roundtrip ticket to these countries (but only 40,000 miles during their off-peak season of March 1 – May 31, August 16 – November 30) and Delta charges 60,000 miles to these countries for roundtrip travel. With this United award sale, it puts them below the normal cost of both AA and Delta but above AA’s off-peak option.
Here are the details of this United award sale:
- Book: August 19 – November 30, 2015
- Travel: August 19 – November 30, 2015
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel between the U.S. or Canada (excluding Hawaii) and Brazil or Chile.
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel (bolding mine) in United Economy®. One-way travel is still priced as a regular, non-discounted Saver Award.
- The 25% discounted Saver Award is available to all MileagePlus members.
- For this offer, “roundtrip” is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel ending at the origin city, and with all segments on flights operated by United Airlines. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Open-jaw itineraries within the same region do qualify for the discount. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer. A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
- Promo page
Both of these countries involve some longer flights to get there from the US so there may be some people that do not want to fly economy down there. However, it is really not that bad and for a chance to save that many miles for future travel can really make it worthwhile! At the very least, it makes redeeming for business class a much more difficult decision since it costs 65,000 more miles during this award sale for business (since business is not included in the sale).
With the Olympics landing in Rio next year, it may be nice for those of you who are not planning to attend them to get a look at where they will actually be held. Not only will you get to see some great sights but it will also be an opportunity to see places that will look familiar when watching the Olympics next year!
Do not forget – there is no longer a fee for a visa in Chile for US passport holders. However, Brazil does charge a reciprocity fee of $160. For visa information and processing, check out RwM partner Alliance Passport (I will receive a small referral if you use their services and you will receive a $5 discount)
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.