Southwest rolled out yet another fare sale today. While it is not as good as the $49 sales that come around a couple of times a year, it is still a great time to check airfare prices to your favorite destinations. Not only that, but the sale is good for 6 months worth of travel – through March of next year!
Southwest Fare Sale – Good For 6 Months Of Travel
The cheapest rate is $39 for travel between Akron/Canton and Washington, DC (Reagan National). The point amount for that fare is 1,589 points one way!
With travel being so cheap to the Washington, DC area, this fare sale is a great way to get to the Baltimore Marathon (October 17) or the Marine Corps Marathon (October 25). In addition, another hub airport of Southwest is Chicago’s Midway airport and this sale coincides with the Chicago Marathon’s October 11th race date. Even Orlando is a great option for the Walt Disney World Marathon events!
Check the sale page here to see the various city pairs and prices that are available through this Southwest sale.
- 14-day advance purchase required.
- Purchase from August 25 through September 3, 2015, 11:59 p.m. for the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Travel September 8, 2015, through March 3, 2016. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 9 through December 10, 2015, and January 19 through March 2, 2016.
- Blackout dates apply: November 24-25; November 28 – December 1; December 26-28, 2015; January 2-3; February 11; February 15-16, 2016.
- Travel not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to/from Florida or Nevada is valid only on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid only Mondays through Thursdays.
- Fares valid on nonstop service only.
- Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
- Points bookings do not include September 11th Security Fee of $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won’t be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
- To see more terms, click here.
Why These Fare Sales Are Great – Even For Already Booked Travel
The reason is Southwest’s fantastic cancellation policy. You can cancel or change your ticket for no cost! That means if you already have booked travel, you can cancel the ticket and rebook it at the current, lower prices. This makes these sales even more important for that reason. Say you are planning a vacation for middle of January. If you are unsure if it is at the best price or not right now but you know you want to do this, go ahead and book it (with points or cash) now.
The schedule will open up with the sale calendar at some point and you can check then to see if your travel dates are within the new sale schedule. Note: big travel times, like school breaks, holiday travel, etc, are not included in the sale schedules so figure that in your planning. It can make your planning headache much less severe knowing that, no matter what, you have the flights you want and now you can just wait and see if the prices drop during these regular sales to make it even cheaper!
If you are a tripit pro subscriber, when you put your reservation information in the system (as easy as setting up your e-mail address with TripIt so that they can grab reservations), it will notify you if your price has dropped! That is another nice way to get a reminder of these sales that go on.
Remember, Southwest tickets can be changed or cancelled whether they are award tickets or revenue tickets. But, you must cancel a ticket sooner than 10 minutes before departure if you do not want to lose your reservation currency! If you have paid for a ticket, the cancellation will send the amount of the flight back to your account as a credit. So, you can go ahead and rebook using that credit.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.