I first saw this the other day from Wandering Aramean but did not have a chance to post it then. As is the case with United, there are often sightings of these award promos a couple of days before United officially publishes the details about the promo. Those details have now been published so find them out now!
Save 20% of Your Miles with This United Award Promo
United Promo Details:
- Note: it does say to register though it is just showing up in award searches as well. Might as well register on the promo page!
- Book: August 9 – August 23, 2016
- Travel: August 23, 2016 – December 15, 2016
- Valid for: travel within the continental U.S. and Canada, or travel between the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska, and Canada
- Promo: Save 20% on miles spend for these awards
- A 14-day advance purchase is required.
- Offer is valid for travel on all days of the week.
- The discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel within the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, and Canada.
- The discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel in United Economy. One-way travel is still priced as a regular, non-discounted Saver Award.
- The discounted Saver Award is combinable with other award types as long as the itinerary is roundtrip (e.g., a member can book a Standard Award for the outbound portion of an itinerary and a Saver Award for the return portion, or vice versa) but only the flight segments purchased with a qualifying Saver Award will be eligible for a discount.
- For this offer, “roundtrip” is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel ending at the origin city, and with all segments on flights operated by United Airlines. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Open-jaw itineraries within the same region do qualify for the discount. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer. A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
- United Promo website
Of course, it is always nice to see some kind of savings on award travel. But, make sure you check the cash prices for tickets on the days you want to travel! Since Ultimate Reward points can transfer to United at 1:1, instead of redeeming for a ticket (and paying a close-in booking fee if within 21 days), you could use the Ultimate Reward points instead to purchase the ticket through the UR portal.
For example, if the ticket costs $300 for a roundtrip ticket, you would need to spend 20,000 United miles with this promo. If you redeemed 20,000 UR points instead, you would get $250 in value. So, the award redemption would be a better price for most people (ignoring elite status). But, if you had to pay a $75 close-in booking fee, using the UR points would be the better option. Of course, there are many ways that you can get a better value from your UR points, but this is just to show you an example of what you should be looking for in terms of value.
Still, it is nice to have the 20% discount across the board for travel across the continental US, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
Do you have any bookings in mind with this promo?
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.