This is the final day of the twice-a-year Southwest sale that targets great locations all over the country at prices from $49 – $129. Not only are there many great deals to be had but these sales always pressure legacy airlines to drop some of their rates for the same destinations during the sale as well.
The Big Southwest Sale is Ending – Save on New Flights & Existing Ones Now
Link: Big Southwest Sale
The Great Part About Southwest and their Sales
But, the best thing about this sale is the fact that you can book now and always change/cancel later – at no charge! If you cancel your ticket, you will receive credit with Southwest for that amount that can be used on any flight anytime in the 12 months from the time you booked the ticket (not from when the ticket was going to be used).
Or, if you decide later on that you want to change the dates, you can do that and just pay the difference – or even receive a refund if the price is lower! And the same works with using points as well. So, this is the perfect time to line up some trips you want to take and book them today, especially if you use points as any cancellation puts those points right back in your account.
If you have already booked travel on Southwest before this sale, check it out since you could save money or points on that same itinerary.
Big Southwest Sale Details
Link: $49 Southwest Sale
- Book from June 6 through June 8, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 6 through December 7, 201
- International travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017.
- Domestic Blackout Dates: September 1, September 4, & November 17-28, 2017.
- Sale fares to international destinations blacked out September 1-2 and November 18-20, 2017
- Sale fares from international destinations blacked out September 4-6 and November 25-28, 2017.
- Domestic travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays.
- Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday.
- International travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Fares valid only on nonstop service.
Cancellation and Change Policy
If you have already booked your tickets in the past, you can still take advantage of the sale. Southwest has the best cancellation/rebooking policy of the US airlines. Basically, as long as you cancel by 10 minutes before the flight, you get the points back in your account for free and with no penalty. That means you are free to make any changes you want without any problems or loss of points or cash!
New this year: with Southwest’s new system, cancelling a flight will put the taxes back as a travel voucher good for a year. Better to simply change the flight if you don’t want the travel voucher. But, for all domestic flights, the taxes are just a small amount anyway so it may not be that big of a deal.
Check Your Already-Booked Reservations For Price Difference
So, now is the time to search for your tickets within this sale and see if you have a better price available now than when you had booked it. If the price has dropped, you simply select to change the flight and look at the same dates and flights again. Once you go through and confirm, you will receive a refund of the difference in miles and the cash for the taxes will be transferred for the new ticket.
In 1 Minute, You Can Have Your Points Back!
The whole process takes less than 60 seconds and you could save a lot of money or points! If you had booked your ticket in the past using cash, you will receive a refund in the form of a credit that is usable for 1 year from the time you originally booked the ticket. If you booked it with points, you will receive the points back in your account for the difference.
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.