Running with Miles does not have direct links to credit cards. If you would like to help support the site with your applications, please check out the links on this page for offers.
This morning I received an email from Southwest, saying I’ll earn double Southwest miles on flights through January 29th. This seems to be a targeted offer, as I received it, but not my wife.
Earn Double Southwest Miles-Targeted?
In order to earn double Southwest Miles, you do have to register for the promotion. With a simple click you will be registered, but that doesn’t mean you will start earning double miles. There is a criteria that must be met as well.
Criteria to Earn Double Miles:
The terms say that you must complete a qualifying round trip flight or 2 one-way flights between January 1st and January 29th, then you’ll earn double Southwest Miles on subsequent flights until January 29th, 2017. The subsequent flights must be completed by January 29th, 2017, as well.
There are list of conditions that Southwest includes as well.
- Only the Rapid Rewards Member who received this offer is eligible for the promotion
- You must register between December 14,2016 and January 29th, 2017 (interesting since this is the first email I have received on this offer.)
- After registering, book a new reservation through Southwest for travel between January 1st, 2017 though January 29th, 2017 and completes a qualifying round trip or 2 one way trip between January 1st, 2017 though January 29th, 2017.
- After completing the previous two bullets, members will receive double miles on all subsuquent flights booked through Southwest and completed between January 1st, 2017 though January 29th, 2017.
- A qualifying round trip flight for Rapid Rewards is a round trip revenue flight on Southwest from an origin city to a destination city and back to the originating airport or carrier-recognized co-terminal.
- Rapid Reward points are calculated using base fare
- Bonus points are in addition to the standard points earned through Rapid Rewards
- Bonus points will not count toward A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass qualification
- Member will receive bonus points within four days after completion of entire ticket.
- Award, Companion Pass, Group Travel, Charter Flights, Southwest Vacations® packages and reward travel do not qualify for this promotion.
- Changes made to this itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion.
If you are able to take advantage of this deal, it is best to use your Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x Ultimate Reward = 2 Southwest Miles) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x Ultimate Rewards = 3 Southwest Miles). In addition, this could be a great way to use your Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Credit if you haven’t used it.
I just received this email and unless you have flights on Southwest already planned, this could be challenging. Not only do you need to register, but you also need to complete a round trip or 2 one ways before you can start earning double Southwest miles.
If you have registered and met the criteria, congrats you are now earning double Southwest miles until January 29th!
If you were targeted, but forgot to register and have already flown since January 1. You could try reaching out to Southwest to see if they will retroactively give you credit. YMMV since it does say you must register before, but it would be worth asking.
Were you targeted for this offer? Do you plan to use it?
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.