In addition to the Buy Miles promo, AA is also running a share miles promo. This is helpful if you need to transfer some miles to another account but not good for everyone!
American Airlines Is Running a Share Miles Promo
Link: Share Miles Promo
AA Promo Details
- AAdvantage members must complete a share transaction of at least 6,000 miles beginning 12:00am CT September 25, 2017 to 11:59:59pm CT September 30, 2017 to be eligible for a discount.
- The applicable discount applied is shown beside each mileage increment in the mileage selection drop-down box
- The discount applies to the mileage transfer cost and does not apply toward the $15 transaction processing charge.
The discount is based on the number of miles transferred and looks like this:
- Transfer 6,000 – 25,000 miles | 25% Discount
- Transfer 26,000 – 50,000 miles | 35% Discount
In addition to the fee, you will also have an additional $15 fee but no taxes.
Also, if you use your AA card, you will earn an extra bonus mile for the purchase since AA processes the purchase directly.
What Good Is This?
For most people, it will not make a lot of sense. After all, you are paying for miles you already have – and not getting any bonus miles for it! This is a far cry from the old US Airways 100% transfer bonus for sure! 🙂
But, it can make sense for some people to transfer using this promo. If you have someone that is an Executive Platinum, you could transfer miles to their account to book awards without paying a cancellation fee. You would need to cancel and rebook a lot to make this worthwhile over just paying the fee yourself, though!
It could also make sense if you have an account in the family without enough miles to do anything substantial. It may be a good move to transfer those miles to another account so you could have more award potential. You will need to do the math to see if makes sense.
Featured image courtesy Stefano Panzeri / Shutterstock.com
Editorial Note - Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links that will support this site. Thank you for your support.